Skunked on shipped eggs again...

I shipped 8 eggs from KY to WA. The gal got 7 hatchlings. I agree with Chooks, freshness and packaging make all the difference. I'd be willing to try an experiment with you. I'll send you eggs - free - from KY to AK and you tell me how they compare in packaging and hatching to what you have paid for up to this point.

I have received eggs from several places this year and my hatch rates have very much coincided with packaging, freshness and condition/nutrition of the birds.

Quote:
I'll take you up on that offer.
big_smile.png
I'd be interested to find out.
I also noticed that almost all of the failed eggs had porous shells, very mottled looking when I candled them. Nutrition related?

I am on day 13 with 10 Lavender Orpington Eggs that I had mailed from Georgia - I am in Florida. They were all wrapped individually in bubble wrap and put in a small box. Then the small box was put in a larger box with styrofoam packing peanuts. The PO called me when they arrived. I picked them up so they would not be in the mail truck all day. So far so good. Candling shows movement in all eggs. Keeping my fingers crossed. This is my first attempt with the Lavender Orps.

I would take more eggs if you want to do a test ship to Florida. :eek:)

Quote:
I'll take you up on that offer.
big_smile.png
I'd be interested to find out.
I also noticed that almost all of the failed eggs had porous shells, very mottled looking when I candled them. Nutrition related?

Not enough calcium. Porous shells are because the bird is deficient. People think cause they free range or have grit, it's good enough. Laying hens put a lot of effort into laying and they need calcium.

akpeeps~~I don't think distance played a role; I believe most of the problem was poor packaging and/or porous eggs.

I'm in NC, and bought eggs from Washington 3 times now. All 3 times, the packaging was great; first shipment had alot of detached air cells and nothing hatched; second shipment was 50% hatch, and current shipment, there's only been one egg that didn't develop.

Unfortunately, I bought ALOT of eggs off of ebay~~they're the breeders I had the most trouble with. Extremely poor packaging, cracked eggs, detached air cells, and porous shells~~just thankful I kept the files so I don't make the mistake of buying from them next year.

My best hatches came from NY and GA~~that's why I don't think distance played a role.

I don't care how well they are packed, it just gets too hot in those mail trucks. Some people will have success with shipped eggs if they are shipped in the spring or fall. Winter and summer are out as far as I am concerned.

Also, I have a suspicion that the post office x rays a lot of packages. That can't be good for the eggs.

Rufus

Bokeeliachick wrote:

I am on day 13 with 10 Lavender Orpington Eggs that I had mailed from Georgia - I am in Florida. They were all wrapped individually in bubble wrap and put in a small box. Then the small box was put in a larger box with styrofoam packing peanuts. The PO called me when they arrived. I picked them up so they would not be in the mail truck all day. So far so good. Candling shows movement in all eggs. Keeping my fingers crossed. This is my first attempt with the Lavender Orps.

I would take more eggs if you want to do a test ship to Florida. :eek:)

Out of curiosity, who did you get them from?

I got them from a lady named Nancy Garry.
Unfortunately, I lost the whole batch.
I had major humidity issues with my incubator.
I really think that was the problem and not the fact that they were shipped eggs.
I did have 2 that never developed, but the other 9 all started and then stopped.
Whew, what a smell!
I had a broody at the time but I was too nervous to give her my "prize" eggs.
Should have, might have had a couple hatch,
Better than none.
So, now I am back to square one on getting some lavender orps.
Very disappointing.....

Lynn

Quote:
I got mine from Nancy also. Six lavender Orps and 3 BBS Orps. None of the Lavs developed but I think that was PO handling more than anything else, all had badly ruptured air cells. The one BBS that developed and went to lockdown died at day 22.
sad.png
I did an eggtopsy on Sunday and there was more liquid that there should have been and it didn't absorb the yolk sac. I posted with pics and consensus was temp too low and humidity too high. I've adjusted for the Cuckoo Silkie egg that went in lockdown today so hopefully this one makes it. Lots of movement this evening.
Oh well, I'm in the same boat and back to square one.
hu.gif
I'll get a hatch eventually.

Back
Top Bottom