1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Skunks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenranchwife, Mar 7, 2007.

1. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, yesterday there was a skunk in our yard. Our Little Rat Terrier Sausha chased it away. Today it returned, I set the live trap in the coop where it was and low and behold it was napping while my hubby went out to see if it went in the trap yet and killed it with a steal post. Right now he has it hanging up high on the picth fork and is going to take it down the road a ways to discard it. Thank God all my chickens are still alive. If I knew how to upload a picture of it I would. LOL

2. Deanw

Deanw Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2007
    Good job on killing the skunk. You say he killed it with a steel post how did he keep from getting sprayed?

Dean

3. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Be wary of skunks wandering into your yard, esp if they show up during the day. In our area they are bad about carrying rabies.

4. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey DeanW, He said that the skunk was sleeping and didn't move but a little bit when he went into the coop. He grabbed the steal post and hit it in the head. He said the skunk was really sleepy acting. We don't recommend anyone do this!

prairiechicken, we have also heard that about skunks and during the day. We are very cautious about skunks and coons, as we live real close to a prairie dog town just south of our house. The next thing I'll be looking for is snakes I know that. Thank god we didn't get sprayed.

5. beejay86

beejay86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Western Massachusetts
    Funny skunk story. They were tearing up my lawn. Not after my chickens. I went out at dusk with my 22 and a flashlight. Once I spotted one, I would sneak up and take it out. Got 3 last summer. I hope they don't come back. Really took alot of time from my evenings!!!

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

As kids, my mom would give us money to kill gophers or anything getting into the chicken feed. $5 a pop (but we had to show her a body [​IMG] )! That's a lot of money to kids, and we would get at least one a day.

7. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Once, we found a skunk in our yard. We had nothing to trap it under, so we clapped a barbecue lid on it [​IMG]. i f it ever happens again, I suggest calling animal control. The only reason we didn't that time was because it was a sunday night, everything was closed, which unfortunately included animal control.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:I can just imagine the moments after you'd caught it... "now what do we do"?!?

9. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Dehydrated, sterilized blood that you buy at the farm store works on keeping them away. I put some out last year and even after the snow, it seemed to linger.
    If you have a live trap, that will take care of him! Good luck!

10. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Glad you were able to get him before he got any of your birds.

Please be careful in discarding the body. Wear gloves and avoid contact with bodily fluids.

I do not know much about skunks, but I know animals that act strange or sluggish are more than likely ill or diseased. I think the odds of a man sneaking up on a healthy and lively wild animal with a steel pole are slim.

-Kim

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by