sky light?

SophieLain127

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
How many of you have some sort of sky light on your coop? If so what did you use and how did you do it.

I'm thinking of using a window and just sealing it really really well.

I'm doing that with the new coops that I'm building. I have wire mesh to put over it for ventilation, especially in the hot summers. Then I have a cover for it to use during bad weather so that the rain / snow cannot get into the coop.

I have an 8" square sky light... just your regular Home Depot variety. I had my coop done before I found BYC, but I'd do the same thing if I had it to do over again.

i used that corrugated fiberglass that matches the tin on the rest of the building. the thing i would woory about with putting a window on the roof is it getting broken out by hail (although i don't know where you live)

I would advise against using a window -- it is hard enough to get proper skylights not to leak, a window without extensive flashing is likely to be a lost cause.

The simplest thing, by far, is to use plastic roofing and make one of the panels translucent or transparent. Beware excessive heat gain, especially in a small-volume coop, though; at the very least, best to put it on a north-sloping roof and make sure the coop has LOTS of ventilation that can potentially be opened up.

If you really have your heart set on a shingled roof, best to use a skylight with all its appropriate flashing... but it may still leak a bit, especially if you are using a secondhand one (often they're secondhand *because of* leaks, some of whcih are installation issues but others are structural to the skylight itself).

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

Maybe instead of putting in a skylight I will put in a second window. I like the idea of having alot of light for my hens as well as being able to let my family (especially my 2 year old) watch them while there in there with out opening the door.....that could be a disaster....lol.

We just started ours this weekend. I've had this old door in our garage for years and I think it may be original to the house. I've fought with DH every year to keep him from throwing it away. He threw the screen door out a few years ago and I about killed him. I wish we had it now for this project. This isn't a skylight, but it should provide plenty of sunlight.
IMG_4012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom