Slant Roof for Dummies - HELP

Gosh so much response. Nice to know all the BYC folk are so nice. Ran right out to Home depot and picked up the hurricane ties or whatever you call them. Also picked up somekinda (Z shaped) thingys that look like they will tie down the part that goes over my high wall (one side screws onto the 2 X 4 Truss and the other side screws into the rafter. I will also take your precautions in mind and toenail the 2 X 4 also, what can it hurt.

Organic, thanks for your precautions about snow. When I moved to the Springs I was anticipating snows of a foot or more (you know, Colorado, snow, skiing, all that). What I found out is that we are lucky to get an inch or two and it is a very dry powdery snow. Not heavy and not usually wet. every once in awhile (maybe once a year or even less than that) we get 3-4 inches but it is rare. With a tin roof I should be pretty secure. It usually melts off roofs, sidewalks and streets in a day or two. Now that I've said that we will probably get a blizzard right after I finish it. But at only 7 ft High I should be able to get up and brush it off pretty easily. I live in a mobile home that I doubt has that much pitch to it. Lots of homes around here were built with flat roofs, altho they aren't doing that much anymore.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

I sure wish that I'd have been smart enough to start a thread like this when building MY shed/coop. Mine also has a slant roof, but I only knew about somehow trying to notch them. I had plenty of sturdy (very HEAVY) 2 x 6's to work with. I did my best with the notches, but let's just say that the results are less than outstanding. A couple of rafters lean to one side or another, but it all seems sturdy enough so far. I heaved all the rafters up by myself, but at least I got my daughter to help me drag the sheathing up there. I can walk around on the roof without fear so guess it's sturdy enough. I should've done what I've done sometimes in the past when I needed strong arms.... offer up beer in exchange for work. I once got an old driveway dug out and hauled off with a bobcat in exchange for a couple cases of ice cold beer on a sweltering midwestern day.... the hotter it is the better deal you can make
ep.gif

I sure wish that I'd have been smart enough to start a thread like this when building MY shed/coop. Mine also has a slant roof, but I only knew about somehow trying to notch them. I had plenty of sturdy (very HEAVY) 2 x 6's to work with. I did my best with the notches, but let's just say that the results are less than outstanding. A couple of rafters lean to one side or another, but it all seems sturdy enough so far. I heaved all the rafters up by myself, but at least I got my daughter to help me drag the sheathing up there. I can walk around on the roof without fear so guess it's sturdy enough. I should've done what I've done sometimes in the past when I needed strong arms.... offer up beer in exchange for work. I once got an old driveway dug out and hauled off with a bobcat in exchange for a couple cases of ice cold beer on a sweltering midwestern day.... the hotter it is the better deal you can make
ep.gif

Guess that kinda lets me out in Colorado in February, LOL. Construction on a cold weather hiatus at the moment.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom