Sled dog breeding

SternRose

Songster
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
Training my dogs
My Coop
My Coop
Hey ok so I want to raise sled dogs, but I don't know what goes into breeding sled dogs. I know it not quite like breeding show/pet dogs. If and when I breed I would only do one litter a year. I know that the b*tches third or forth heat cycle is prim timing. But do the dogs need to be genetic tested and all that expencize stuff? I want to breed labs and huskys. 3 of each breed, 1 male of each breed and 2 females of each breed. One year is ill make for the huskys and the other for the labs. But only one female per year. I don't want to be a back yard breeder. I'm not in it for $$, I'm in it to better the sled dogs( and my team) I won't revered until the last litter is sold. I'm raising the dogs for fun and for a hobby. I won't compete. I will only breed when I can keep the WHOLE litter( hopefully it won't come down to that) if I do breed I'm gonna sell the pups for $150-$250 with NO BREEDING rights! Unless its to a nother musher or to a breeder who plans to show( the dogs I'm getting have show back grounds) so tips and a HELPING GUIDE are much needed. :) :D

What?

To find a breeder, and shadow them for a bit.

For the love of god, don't breed. You sound like you got a pet dog and suddenly thought 'puppies!'

Are you breeding show huskies or working huskies? You can't breed both. You're either breeding show huskies which don't work at all, save from maybe skijoring, or you're breeding working huskies, which it's best to compete.

And you plan on breeding labs too??? Most breeders focus on one type of dog. Do you know anything about what it takes to show a lab, or a husky? Their body type?

You're no where near breeding. Don't ask a (chicken) forum how to breed dogs, grab some books and meet a breeder to ask. DONT expect others to do the work for you. You are even asking for a helping guide. Have you gone to a library? Done any research?

Please, don't breed. Do you want to have sled dogs? Great. But seriously. Have you even owned huskies prior to this? Do you know anything about their temperament? Labs?

Also, why do you think breeding show huskies is different than breeding show dogs? If you're getting show huskies, you're breeding show huskies, not working huskies. And working huskies need to be COMPETED! Otherwise you're just breeding extra dogs that are not needed / sought for! It's not hard to find a good dog willing to work. Anyone can find a good, sturdy mule. But you want to breed Clydesdales? Than you better work them. And only breed the absolute best. And this requires competitions
(Being metaphoric here)

I'm sorry if I'm being rude, but really it sounds like you've put no forethought in this other than have a sudden compulsion to breed and you've acted on it. Loving a dog breed (which it seems you love huskies) isn't what makes a good breeder. It's apart of it, but you need a lot more, and part of it is actually doing work.

Last edited:
No I'm not breeding show dogs. Sorry if I confused you there. And I've been thinking this through and even spoken with a few breeders. I've been researching for 6 months now, I own 25 dog books, my mane question is will the breeding dogs have to be genetic tested and all that other stuff?

And no I didn't get a pet dog. I'm wanting to start my sled dog hobby. I will compete but not until my teams old enough. And I own 1 lab and 1 hisky( not part of my future team(

I know a little about showing dogs. I'm in 4-h and no your not sounding rude. I understand what ur saying. But I think that I didn't make my shelf clear and I'm sorry about that.

Well, everyone has to start somewhere.

So, you got dogs? Can you tell me about them?

Do you know any local breeders? I'd look for some local show dog breeders, of any kind, and talk about them. Try to get a working class breed so they'll share similarities.

Are huskies common in your area? Labs?

Almost all are spayed or will be spayed. There all family dogs. 1 lab/heeler mix, 1 mini weinner dog.1 husky, 1 German Shepard-/ grey hound mix, and on mini poodle/ wire haired fox terrier/ chicahuahua mix. Lacey, baby, nala, Chevy, min. All in order.

To answer your main question: yes, I highly, highly recommend you get your dogs tested for hips and elbows. These are major issues in both breeds you mention and starting with sound structures to begin with will reduce the need for expensive surgeries later. This is even MORE important in working animals.

Other tests that are quite necessary in my opinion are tests for cataracts. I would hook up with a breeder of these breeds though and find out what tests they do.

Breeding dogs the right way is not cheap and often requires more money than you could make. A breeder of labs (who was also a veterinarian and head of the OFA board) once told me that she does not recommend anyone breed a dog if they do not have an extra $12,000 laying around ready to just burn. This is for ONE dog. Which means every time you breed a dog, you need to be prepared with that extra money. Not only is it necessary for proper prenatal care and tests for the puppies post-natally, but you need a good chunk in case of emergency for the pregnant dog. You never know when a C-section may need to be performed, and that is not cheap.

I do agree that in order to breed quality dogs, you must have some way of testing their qualities that you are breeding for. This is why people show and compete. If you are just breeding unproven dogs, it would be like any other person breeding backyard animals.

I would read up in common problems in the breeds you are interested in. Huskies and labs have quite a few medical issues they are pre-disposed to and the oak of any breeding program should be to reduce these issues along with breeding for type or work ability. It is not easy and takes a lot of knowledge. I think apprenticing would be a great idea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom