Sled dog breeding

I get why some groups started. We had a true sicko here who put firecrackers up cats butts and laughter as it blew. He also gutted living kittens or nailed them to boards. It was in the news several years ago. But the animals rights groups have gone insanely overboard. Protecting animals from whack jobs is important, but that's not what they do any more. I hate PETA with a passion, they make all animal owners out to be cruel and believe that all animals should be wild and free. Never mind that most domestic animals would die without human care.

OK, I'm dropping this subject before I go on a serious rant here.

Yeah if i keep going they might lock this thread.

I have a meet and greet tonight with a potential adopter for our rescued rottwieller Fiona. The man in question goes to the same obedience trainer I do, and he lost his last dog to old age. He is very excited about Fiona, despite her past and minor health problems. He wants a kid friendly large breed companion for his 2 daughters. Please prey or keep your fingers crossed that this will be a great match for Fiona. I'd love to place her in her forever home. Be a great ending to her story.

Your right that she has a lot of faults. I am curious what faults you see in her though.

I would agree with you that having her spayed would be best. She can still be a lovely pet without having to be bred. And please do keep in mind that breeding has risks. B**ches can die during labor and after from complications. When she goes into labor she will need a human midwife with her who knows how and when to bring on contractions, has a good idea how many pups she was carring to make sure they all come out, who can help break the sacks from the pups, watch a mother for any signs of refusing the pups or aggression towards them, and much more. There are many risks, a pup can die inside the mother which would kill her if not removed, pups can be breach and need to be turned and/or the dog rushed to have a C section or all the pups still inside the mother as well as the mother will die. You or her midwife meeds to know the signs of a detached placenta, how long is OK between pups before you should intervene, and knowing how to intervene is critical. I have a mobile vet that does even late night house calls in case of emergency. But even then I am most likely going to take my future pregnant female to a breeder with more experience to ensure the health of my b**ch and her litter. If the dog does end up with complications, it can get very expensive very fast trying to save her and her pups lives. Each pregnancy is different and you never know how it's going to go, even in an experienced b**ch.

So aside from the fact that Nala has a lot of major faults for a Siberian, are you prepared to risk her life? Death is a possibility and must always be considered before breeding.

If my dog has puppies, I'm going to ask my mentor to keep her there to help her. This will be her first litter so she will need more help then i can give. My mentor breeds sleddogs, I also going to ask her which dogs are worth keeping. If Mer has puppies i might not buy her niece
sad.png

I have a meet and greet tonight with a potential adopter for our rescued rottwieller Fiona. The man in question goes to the same obedience trainer I do, and he lost his last dog to old age. He is very excited about Fiona, despite her past and minor health problems. He wants a kid friendly large breed companion for his 2 daughters. Please prey or keep your fingers crossed that this will be a great match for Fiona. I'd love to place her in her forever home. Be a great ending to her story.

I will.

It's my brother who wants to breed her. But her hips are messed up she's way to skinny( she's 44lbs she comes from racing lines) her chest could be wider I think her ears are to low set. There's more but I just woke up.

Her weight is within standard actually, a b**ch should weight between 40-50 pounds. Her ears are too large and set too wide and low on her head. There is not enough angulation in her stifle. . Her chest is a bit narrow, and her front looks off, but I can't exactly put my finger on what is catching my eye on that. Her top line should be straight, but in the pictures it don't, could just be the picture though. Her tail is snapped way too tightly to her back, and it is too plummy. It should look more like a fox tail, hers looks like a banner.

Any dog with bad hips should not be bred. It will be past on to her pups, and females with bad hips can suffer during pregnancy. I would really think about the risks in breeding her, and talk to your brother. Pregnancy care of b**ches gets expensive fast, any emergency care during labor adds up, and then there is the cost of puppy vaccinations, health care, feeding, knowing you could be stuck with the entire litter if you can't find homes. And don't forget the risk to Nala herself. Better to spay her and have her around for years than lose her to a pregnancy gone wrong.

If my dog has puppies, I'm going to ask my mentor to keep her there to help her. This will be her first litter so she will need more help then i can give. My mentor breeds sleddogs, I also going to ask her which dogs are worth keeping. If Mer has puppies i might not buy her niece :(

With first time mothers the risks are higher. Some will attack the puppies as they come out because of the pain. Some that deliver well may reject those puppies and you will need either a surrogate mom and puppy milk and no sleep to ensure they all survive. Going to an established breeder who may have a b**ch with pups or due soon can mean the difference with pups of a first time mother. My breeder has a dog that always rejects her pups for the first week, so the breeder takes all but 1/2 away, sleeps with her, monitors her interaction with the pups, and when the dam finally has that mother instinct kick in, she gets her pups back 1 at a time. She calls it doggy post partum depression, the dog just won't take to a full litter, like she is overwhelmed by how many there are. But that takes a lot of experience to handle that kind of situation.

I will.

Fiona has had a rough start. Her first owners were 21 years old, with 4 kids and gave her up because they couldn't afford her. I was called by a friend who was there when Fiona was dropped off. She was heartworm positive, and because she was a rottwieller she was an "aggressive" breed. The shelter didn't want anything to do with her. When I adopted her they didn't even charge me a fee, they seemed to just want her gone that much. She is a giant snuggle bugs, and I mean giant at 97 pounds, try having that climb in your lap! She had lots of bad habits, jumping and giving hugs, food aggression, fear of crates, she pulled like a dang tank, she bulldozes things out of her way, chewed some furniture and the HDMI cable off the PS3, she once dragged my son across the yard on his belly, and more. We had a very long road ahead of us rehabilitating her. I put a martingale collar on her instead of the thick, macho collar her previous owners had on her, now my son can safely walk her. She no longer jumps, and hugs are rare, chewing has also stopped, thank goodness. She is crate trained and gets all her food in there. We had hoped that she would join our pack, but she is too different from the hyperactive Siberians and Belgain that we eventually decided to find her a home that fit her better. During this time, we had her spayed, yes the shelter adopted an unspayed female to me. We discovered that she had hip/knee pains, vet recommended surgery without even taking X-rays, he wanted our money as the surgery costs $2000 and we were told the other knee would blow in 6 months bringing the total up to $4000. We brought a $500 brace and put that on her and did physical therapy on our own, the vet wouldn't oversee it he was pushing for surgery so hard. She hasn't needed the brace in months! I really believe her knee/hip problems was from lack of muscle tone, she is lazy and never exercised. When she started trying to run and play with out pack, she hurt herself. She has put on a lot of muscle, but she also packed on some fat and is obese, she is on a weightloss food and green beans diet to correct this. She totally loves cats and kids, don't bark, and her entire goal in life is to be in your lap as a couch potatoe, lol. She loves being brushed, its 1 of her favorite things to do with her human. She has 0 human aggression, she is a giant, snuggly, teddy bear of a dog.

We saved her life, but we aren't the right family for her, which was hard to admit. So we hope to help her find that perfect home and are so grateful we got to know, love, and help this wonderful, special girl. If this works out, she will be the 3rd dog I have personally placed in a home, but she needed a lot more help than I have ever had to do before, and the other 2 dogs were puppies i pulled off the street after being dumped. One was a pit mix I sent to a friend, the other a small mixed mutt I placed with a family wanting a playful companion for 2 kids aged 8 and 12. This 8 month journey with Fiona has been a great teaching experience, we had our ups and downs, and I want only the best for her.

Tonight I am to tell this gentlemen her story, her bad habits and good habits. Then leave them to get to know each other. If there is potential, he will take her for a 2 week trail. He will also take her to the same obedience class I am attending. He has a habit of taking walks daily, so she would get a lot of exercise and the obedience trainer is going to oversee all of this. Our trainer is wonderful, I am very grateful to him for setting this up. I was a bit scared of adopting out a rottwieller without guidance, too many people buy into stereo type about them. So I have to say thanks to this trainer for helping me find a man who can love Fiona for who she is, not what the stereo type says she is.

Keep her in your thoughts tonight as I take her to meet this potential adopter, let's all hope and prey it's a match.

Last edited:
With first time mothers the risks are higher. Some will attack the puppies as they come out because of the pain. Some that deliver well may reject those puppies and you will need either a surrogate mom and puppy milk and no sleep to ensure they all survive. Going to an established breeder who may have a b**ch with pups or due soon can mean the difference with pups of a first time mother. My breeder has a dog that always rejects her pups for the first week, so the breeder takes all but 1/2 away, sleeps with her, monitors her interaction with the pups, and when the dam finally has that mother instinct kick in, she gets her pups back 1 at a time. She calls it doggy post partum depression, the dog just won't take to a full litter, like she is overwhelmed by how many there are. But that takes a lot of experience to handle that kind of situation.

thats why she would/will go to my mentor. She has bred many dogs and has a lot of experienced under her belt.

Fiona has had a rough start. Her first owners were 21 years old, with 4 kids and gave her up because they couldn't afford her. I was called by a friend who was there when Fiona was dropped off. She was heartworm positive, and because she was a rottwieller she was an "aggressive" breed. The shelter didn't want anything to do with her. When I adopted her they didn't even charge me a fee, they seemed to just want her gone that much. She is a giant snuggle bugs, and I mean giant at 97 pounds, try having that climb in your lap! She had lots of bad habits, jumping and giving hugs, food aggression, fear of crates, she pulled like a dang tank, she bulldozes things out of her way, chewed some furniture and the HDMI cable off the PS3, she once dragged my son across the yard on his belly, and more. We had a very long road ahead of us rehabilitating her. I put a martingale collar on her instead of the thick, macho collar her previous owners had on her, now my son can safely walk her. She no longer jumps, and hugs are rare, chewing has also stopped, thank goodness. She is crate trained and gets all her food in there. We had hoped that she would join our pack, but she is too different from the hyperactive Siberians and Belgain that we eventually decided to find her a home that fit her better. During this time, we had her spayed, yes the shelter adopted an unspayed female to me. We discovered that she had hip/knee pains, vet recommended surgery without even taking X-rays, he wanted our money as the surgery costs $2000 and we were told the other knee would blow in 6 months bringing the total up to $4000. We brought a $500 brace and put that on her and did physical therapy on our own, the vet wouldn't oversee it he was pushing for surgery so hard. She hasn't needed the brace in months! I really believe her knee/hip problems was from lack of muscle tone, she is lazy and never exercised. When she started trying to run and play with out pack, she hurt herself. She has put on a lot of muscle, but she also packed on some fat and is obese, she is on a weightloss food and green beans diet to correct this. She totally loves cats and kids, don't bark, and her entire goal in life is to be in your lap as a couch potatoe, lol. She loves being brushed, its 1 of her favorite things to do with her human. She has 0 human aggression, she is a giant, snuggly, teddy bear of a dog.

We saved her life, but we aren't the right family for her, which was hard to admit. So we hope to help her find that perfect home and are so grateful we got to know, love, and help this wonderful, special girl. If this works out, she will be the 3rd dog I have personally placed in a home, but she needed a lot more help than I have ever had to do before, and the other 2 dogs were puppies i pulled off the street after being dumped. One was a pit mix I sent to a friend, the other a small mixed mutt I placed with a family wanting a playful companion for 2 kids aged 8 and 12. This 8 month journey with Fiona has been a great teaching experience, we had our ups and downs, and I want only the best for her.

Tonight I am to tell this gentlemen her story, her bad habits and good habits. Then leave them to get to know each other. If there is potential, he will take her for a 2 week trail. He will also take her to the same obedience class I am attending. He has a habit of taking walks daily, so she would get a lot of exercise and the obedience trainer is going to oversee all of this. Our trainer is wonderful, I am very grateful to him for setting this up. I was a bit scared of adopting out a rottwieller without guidance, too many people buy into stereo type about them. So I have to say thanks to this trainer for helping me find a man who can love Fiona for who she is, not what the stereo type says she is.

Keep her in your thoughts tonight as I take her to meet this potential adopter, let's all hope and prey it's a match.

poor baby

Back
Top Bottom