SLEEP BOX

Tootieboot

In the Brooder
May 23, 2023
Fl.
Has anyone used or heard of sleep box for rooster ? I'm sorry it's for very early crowing. Rooster goes' in at night and gets let out in morning .

Last edited:
Has anyone used or heard of sleep box for rooster ?
To keep him warm in the winter? or more comfortable, or separate him from the rest of the flock? What is your reasoning for wanting this.

Personally I use roosting ledge, not a rail/bar; I removed the roosting bars last March due to fighting over who sleeps where, my silkies would get knocked off the roost. Since I put in the ledge all on one level I have had a huge reduction in squabbling, and it's an easy couple minute cleanup each morning, I sprinkle some shavings on the ledge after I pick poops and voila - done! I am also noting that now that it's cold my kiddos will huddle together in their preferred groups to sleep. Maybe this will work for you also.

To keep him warm in the winter? or more comfortable, or separate him from the rest of the flock? What is your reasoning for wanting this.

Personally I use roosting ledge, not a rail/bar; I removed the roosting bars last March due to fighting over who sleeps where, my silkies would get knocked off the roost. Since I put in the ledge all on one level I have had a huge reduction in squabbling, and it's an easy couple minute cleanup each morning, I sprinkle some shavings on the ledge after I pick poops and voila - done! I am also noting that now that it's cold my kiddos will huddle together in their preferred groups to sleep. Maybe this will work for you also.

Thanks for clarifying the purpose of the box. If it blocks all light, it may work since light stimulus is one of the most common reasons for night time crowing. But just stuffing a chicken into a box without a proper perch and ventilation would be less than kind.

It doesn't have to be a box, per se. It needs to have a low ceiling. If the rooster can't reach his head up, he won't crow. That is the theory. I'm not sure it works with all breeds.
Interesting theory, if you try it please let me know how it worked. I hung a KFC sign in the hen house but the Roos didn’t get the hint 😁

Back
Top Bottom