Sleep Remedies?

DoctorGoose

Songster
12 Years
Jul 27, 2007
Woodinville,WA
Hi y'all--wondering if any of you have some really good insomnia remedies out there. (Natural preferred).

I do have really good sleep habits, it's just that I can't sleep. lol.

Normally, I have to take Doxylamine Succinate every night (Costco sleepy pills) in order to get to sleep--or 4-5 Benadryl.

I am usually in bed between 8-9, and get up around 5 am...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Well...do you drink coffee, tea or soda in the evenings? If so..stop...and get some Herbal teas. I like Sleepy Time Tea...has a nice soft mint flavor..and really relaxes me. There are a few other ingredients that are to help you relax. I Too have sleeping problems. This seems to help me. Good luck...its a terrible thing to have happen...and leaves ya exausted all day.

You're gonna LAUGH

Seriously, when I have those times of lying in bed and cant'get to sleep - I think of different things, for example, what I would do with my lottery winnings, or I figure out a design for my perfect house, even go on a mini vacation to the beach or tropical island etc...
I've even designed the inside of an RV and a plane !
gig.gif

Sometimes its really tough to keep my mind on track - but its the worry and THINKING of stupid things that keeps me awake.

It sounds really stupid - but it works, before I know it I've drifted off slept all night and its time to get up for the day!

There are different types of teas out there that you can try but if you are looking for something OTC (over the counter) you can add one 325 mg. Tylenol (or equivilant store brand) and one 25 mg. Bendadryl (or equivilant store brand). This is what we used in the nursing homes when they were on Public Aid (since Medicaid won't pay for sleep aids in the state of Illinois at least). These are the same ingredients that everyone pays for those OTC sleep medications. Go look and see. Two primary ingredients are Acetaminophen and Diphenhydramine. But for the sake of argument, do not take my advice as gospel. Talk to your doctor before hand. Another thing that I learned last year was to not have any aromatherapy candles that smell like peppermint. Peppermint is a stimulant. No candle, air freshener or anything else that you can smell should be used after 5 pm if you intend to sleep at night. They say that lilac and vanilla are two fragrances that are condusive to sleep.

Quote:
Schmoo, thanks for that info. I'm going to look into that for myself, as the info said it treated insomnia, anxiety and pain - all of which I suffer from.

I hope it works!

DoctorGoose, I have the same problem with sleep. I'm on so much medication now, it worries me. #1) I have to take Requip for my RLS, #2 )Flexeril 30 mg, for my TMJ
#3 )Ambien to sleep. If I don't take these, and believe me I've tried going without, I don't sleep a wink. I wish there was a way to sleep without these dang meds. I too am in bed by 9pm and up at 5:30 am. It is a vicious cycle, the dr. says it is stress.
he.gif
Naw, ya think so? If there were a way to turn my brain off at night, that would help. Sometimes I look at it like... I guess I'll sleep when I'm dead. But Lord I hope that's a long time away. I'm gonna check into that herbal stuff schmoo suggested.

Oh wow!

I'll have to try that herbal stuff....

Nope, don't drink any kind of soda (gives me a stomach ache--same with coffee). Turns out I'm allergic to Ambien (and beer, LOL!). I did try having some wine last night but it just made me hyper.
th.gif

I like the idea of a nice hot bubble bath....all warm and toasty....

Personally, I think my sleeping issues started about three years ago when I was working graveyard full time AND going to school full time. I got about 3-4 hours of sleep a day. Twas painful.

I do have dark colored drapes on my windows, no candles at the moment (although I do love a good smells-good)

Countrygirl--all of my peers and family members worry about me taking so much medication as well, especially when I go for the 4-5 Benadryl because of my allergies.

Last night, around 1 am, I ended up taking half of my doxylamine succinate with some warm milk...that worked, but I don't want to wait until 1 am!

Tonight, I will try taking some sleepy pill around 6pm (although usually I don't get off work until 7:30)...we'll have an experiment with me!

Chelly--I have found that some of my best ideas come when I'm laying awake! I designed my latest chicken coop that way.....
gig.gif

I'll give y'all an update tomorrow, and I'm going to go buy some of that herbal stuff right now. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom