sleep walk/ talk

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by maplesky7, Jan 3, 2010.

1. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    My oldest dd is 8 and has just come in here crying to tell me she's hungry.

Well, since tues. she's been running a high fever and yes, the dr. has been called twice so far. So of course I'm bending over backward trying to make her as comfortable as I can. She hasn't much of an appetite as she and her little sister, 3 yrs, both have the flu and didn't eat much in the way of supper tonight.

So I stopped what I was doing and asked her what she wanted? I asked her if she wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and she said yeah and then she went and sat on the big chair by the tv. I got up & asked her if she wanted just peanut butter or if she wanted jelly too? And she answered me she wanted peanut butter AND jelly and was still crying about it.

So I bring her her sandwich cut in 4's the way she likes it and her eyes are shut. I gently put my hand on her and rub her and tell her, "Here's your sandwich sweety." And she can barely open her eyes and sleeps right through it.

Now, she's had night terrors and episodes of sleep walking and talking before where she says silly things like the time she was wondering around the house instead of being in bed and I said, "What are you doing sweety?" And she says, looking for her hat. Her hat? What do you need your hat for? She said, "Because my feet are cold." [​IMG] I put some socks on her and put her back in bed.

I think I just made a sandwich for my sleep walking/ talking daughter who won't really wake up to eat that sandwich.

Doesn't seem bad though... I could go for a peanut butter and strawberry preserve sandwich rights about now. ...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    [​IMG] Gretch! I hope she feels better soon.

3. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    My daughter sleepwalks/talks when she is sick too. At least you got a sandwich out of the deal!

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

When I'm otherwise not about to die from chills, sweats and low blood pressure, sometimes fever makes me hallucinate or get terrors. I could totally see sleepwalking/talking, although no one has reported that I have. Maybe the low BP keeps me rooted to my bed, idk.

At least you got a sandwich!

5. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Ugh....sleepwalking [​IMG] As a child I sleepwalked. I have passed this down to my 11yr old son. He gets up to pee most of the time BUT he doesn't always make it to the toilet. He's peed in the catbox, bathtub, garbage can, laundry basket...etc. The only positive is that he pees in something instead of on the floor [​IMG] One night he ran out the front door to get his pillow out of the van. He hates the dark so the whole time he was outside he was crying and running....all while asleep. It's the funniest thing when he talks to you in his sleep. He just sits there and has the biggest smile on his face [​IMG] while he's talking and then starts to laugh like crazy [​IMG] The things our kids do while asleep [​IMG]

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Kids?!?! Heck, my husband sleep talks A LOT! He wakes me up out a dead sleep and I try to figure out what he is telling me. It is absolutely nothing! Half the time it is jibberish or something completely bizarre. Sleep walking...now that can be troublesome. Sounds like you have your hands full! [​IMG]

Bheila...your son sounds like me when I was little. If there was something stressful at home, I would sleep walk. I once walked in my parents room while my mom was awake watching TV. She had her laundry basket of CLEAN clothes on the floor. I pulled my pants down and peed right in the clean clothes. [​IMG] Another time, I was sleep walking and wanted a drink of water. Luckily my sister walked in as I was trying to squeeze her mud mask into my cup. [​IMG] Ya'll have your hands full of kids! I don't know how you do it! [​IMG]

7. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my sister used to sleep walk..I always talk in my sleep... me and my oldest sister would carry on conversations in our sleep and when my other sister told us to shut up m... the oldest sister got up and slapped her(she was still asleep).... Hubby gets a kick out of the things I talk about and he will talk back to me... nothing makes any sense to him...

Hope you daughter gets better soon

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Our 19yr old DS does this when he is sick also. The slightest fever turns him into a walking-talking-zombie-boy. Sometimes its down right scary. [​IMG]

And speaking of scary...DH never curses, ever. But about once a week I will wake to the sound of 'thee' curse worse being shouted out. The first time it happened, I nearly had a heart attack. Sound asleep and then BAM, 'thee' word comes booming out in the darkness. I flew out of bed, turned on the light expecting something horrible to have happened but there he lays, sound asleep. I check to make sure his heart is beating and he isnt bleeding from some bizarre wound that would cause him to utter such a word.

Now, when he does it, I just give him a good shove forcing him to roll over and he shuts up.... [​IMG]

9. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    My DH talks in his sleep at times, mostly it sounds like martian talk. [​IMG]

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Are you my Mommy.. cause I swear me and this Kid are related.. I did the Same thing when I was little.. The trashcan was were my parents always peeing... ANd did the sit straight up and start talking and then laughing.. CRAZY... I also used to sleep eat... I just sleep talk now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by