Sleeping in nesting boxes

We have a completely enclosed "pen" and ours typically sleep in a big pile under the coop. If it's raining then they will go into the coop. We are new to chickens and I honestly think that we got "special" chickens to begin with.

The nesting boxes are higher then the roosts. I wish I read BYC before installing. I guess I am just going to have to make the roosts higher.

Last edited:
The nesting boxes are higher then the roosts. I wish I read BYC before installing. I guess I am just going to have to make the roosts higher.
Its a fairly common thing for people to install the nest boxes as high or higher than the roosts. I guess people forget that they are birds that like to sleep in trees.

Its a fairly common thing for people to install the nest boxes as high or higher than the roosts. I guess people forget that they are birds that like to sleep in trees.
Yup, instincts are to sleep in trees, but also lay on the ground, for the most part. Thus, boxes low, roosts a bit higher. But, with heavy framed hens, I don't like them having to jump down from 4 or 5 foot heights. They can mess up their feet, hips and other joints.

If you can, move the roosting poles higher than the nest boxes. Then block off nest boxes for a couple weeks. Put the chickens on the roosts each night if they don't go on their own. Two or three nights of this and theyll start doing it on their own. I like for them to sleep on the poles, and so I put in the effort to move them if they start sleeping elsewhere. It only takes a few nights and then they're good to go. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom