1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sleeping in the box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rubycal, Oct 13, 2012.

1. rubycal

rubycal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    Why is it discouraged for hens to sleep in the box? MIne started to do this when the nights became chilly, and three of them will stay together to keep warm. Its not actually cold enough for the heat lamp, just chilly. Plus I just introduced some more hens so they will have more body heat. They come out in the morning and the layer uses the box no problem.

2. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Most people don't like there hens sleeping there because they'll poop in the boxes and when they lay their eggs they aren't clean.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yup. it's pretty much about the poop. Nasty, imho.

Likely the pecking order, and thus, the roosting order got disturbed when you introduced other birds. Likely, cold has nothing to do with it, but rather timidity about the other birds.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    3 of our 6 prefer to sleep in the boxes...and yeah...icky eggs...don't like that. We fixed a flap on the front and put it down late in the afternoon after the laying is done and before they go in for the night. Amazing how clean the boxes and eggs have been since then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by