Sleeping in the coop for the first time - advice?

lillieegg

Chirping
5 Years
May 30, 2014
My Coop
My Coop
I was thinking about having my pullets sleep outside for the first time tomorrow night. One is 8 weeks, and the other two are 6 weeks. They go outside from about 8 am - 8 pm every day. I know they don't like being carried back and forth, I think it's time
idunno.gif

So I need to put up some nesting boxes tomorrow (I know they won't use them yet) just to get them used to their surroundings and stuff. The oldest will be laying in a few months :O There is hay covering the whole bottom of the coop, and I'm probably going to put blankets up on the windows (wire windows) to keep them warm. I could also put a lamp in there to keep heat in. We don't have a door on their coop yet so I can out that up tomorrow too. (P.s. on my profile you can see the pictures of the coop). My family and I are first time chicken owners so we've never done this before. Any advice? It would be much appreciated!
big_smile.png

Also, if you think I should wait a little longer tell me. They're all pretty much fully feathered except one who is a black langshan and I've heard they grow slower.

Here are pictures

Well I would say not to because I have lost my whole entire flock once to coyotes or something else but I live far out in the country so I don't really know what your place is like. But if it is fenced in and well secured then they should be fine. I would put a roost and some hay or something there for them too.
smile.png

Well I would say not to because I have lost my whole entire flock once to coyotes or something else but I live far out in the country so I don't really know what your place is like. But if it is fenced in and well secured then they should be fine. I would put a roost and some hay or something there for them too.
smile.png
I'm sorry about you're flock:( We don't have coyotes near my house, we do have raccoons though. I have pictures on my profile, if you look could you tellme if you think raccoons could get into there?

I looked at the pictures of the red coop. You got a really nice coop. And I don't think anything is getting in there. If you want to be more sure though, I would screw some boards on the bottom of the fences so nothing digs under.

Ok cool we're doing it tonight! :0 I'm scared and excited! The nights in my town are in the 50's (f)

Back
Top Bottom