Sleeping in the nesting box...OK?

NCchicken

Songster
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Two (silkie and EE) of my three chickens prefer to sleep in the nesting boxes. The other one sleeps on the poop board (my silkies don't roost). Is it OK if they sleep in the nesting box? The silkie that sleeps in the nesting box is still laying just fine and the EE is too young to lay (at least that is what I am rationalizing to myself for not having any eggs from her yet). Is this even a big deal or something to be concerned about? It's just a pain to constantly have to clean both of my nesting boxes every morning so my eggs stay clean. My silkies also lay at all times of the day, not just before noon or whatever. Input and opinions are welcome!!!
smile.png

Thanks!
Julie

My rooster recently started sleeping in the nesting boxes for some unknown reason. It doesn't hurt anything other than he sure poops a lot while he sleeps! So I've taken to blocking off the nesting boxes just before dusk and then removing the blockade when I go out to do chores in the early a.m.

When mine were young, they wanted to sleep in the nest boxes. If you don't mind cleaning the poop out of the boxes, then I would worry about it. But your eggs will be cleaner if you just get them out of the habit. I blocked off my boxes at night for a couple of weeks so they didn't go in them. I just filled a couple of gallon milk jugs with water and set them in the nest box to block access.

Back
Top Bottom