sleeping on roof - born in March

I would wait for about 30 minutes after they settle down on top of the coop.
Yup, just go for it.

There are no stupid questions. There can be stupid answers though. šŸ˜³

I too want to see the coop. Sometimes there is a visible (to experienced eyes) thing making them choose not to go in.

One other thing to do.....once they are in the coop sleeping soundly....run a white paper towel along the underside of the roost. Yup there is a good reason to do it. If it comes back with grey or red streaks there are mites in the coop. Not all bird pests live on the birds. Mites will take up residence in the cracks and crevices only coming out in the night to feed on the sleeping birds.
Here was their breakfast snack - clearly I am already obsessed with these ladies

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_72a1.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_72a1.jpeg
    672.4 KB · Views: 5

Attachments

• NBGo7LzSTbWmvucP3sh0nA.jpg
    NBGo7LzSTbWmvucP3sh0nA.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 4dNq8av8S5GHrg7gsAh3dg.jpg
    4dNq8av8S5GHrg7gsAh3dg.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • v4wQSmw2S2SAT7QSTvB0hQ.jpg
    v4wQSmw2S2SAT7QSTvB0hQ.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 4
  • AqJPbToASK2vf2f85+f+uQ.jpg
    AqJPbToASK2vf2f85+f+uQ.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 2
  • L%YSgLpfQ12tdhwpLlW+UA.jpg
    L%YSgLpfQ12tdhwpLlW+UA.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 2
  • ssXvtB4GSvyUi%NcUdPB9w.jpg
    ssXvtB4GSvyUi%NcUdPB9w.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 3
  • YFezvilQSgOEl04aSiEYsw.jpg
    YFezvilQSgOEl04aSiEYsw.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 3
Hi - here are the pix I took this morning. They poop on the roof!
Not sure how to clean that off! I don't know if snaking a hose in there would be a good idea because the ground would get all muddy, and I certainly don't want to go in with a bowl of water and soap and a scrub brush right? Do I just scrape it off? Yuck but if I were a little chicky I certainly wouldn't want poop all over my roof!

Attachments

• NBGo7LzSTbWmvucP3sh0nA.jpg
    NBGo7LzSTbWmvucP3sh0nA.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 4dNq8av8S5GHrg7gsAh3dg.jpg
    4dNq8av8S5GHrg7gsAh3dg.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • v4wQSmw2S2SAT7QSTvB0hQ.jpg
    v4wQSmw2S2SAT7QSTvB0hQ.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 4
  • AqJPbToASK2vf2f85+f+uQ.jpg
    AqJPbToASK2vf2f85+f+uQ.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 4
  • L%YSgLpfQ12tdhwpLlW+UA.jpg
    L%YSgLpfQ12tdhwpLlW+UA.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 3
  • ssXvtB4GSvyUi%NcUdPB9w.jpg
    ssXvtB4GSvyUi%NcUdPB9w.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 3
  • YFezvilQSgOEl04aSiEYsw.jpg
    YFezvilQSgOEl04aSiEYsw.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 4
Ok.....brace yourself......

I think you need to make some modifications.
I don't see a functional roost in the tiny coop.

What I would do.....

Enclose the entire structure to be a coop. That means the platform becomes the new floor. Remove the existing floor and inside wall. Look at lowering the nest boxes so new roosts can be higher than the nests.
I would also reangle the steep sloped roof section so the short wall can be taller.

Not a hopeless situation at all.

I don't think the coop has nearly enough ventilation, and I didn't see a roost inside it. That's likely why they prefer to use the roof, lots of fresh air and it's the highest spot they can reach

Ok.....brace yourself......

I think you need to make some modifications.
I don't see a functional roost in the tiny coop.

What I would do.....

Enclose the entire structure to be a coop. That means the platform becomes the new floor. Remove the existing floor and inside wall. Look at lowering the nest boxes so new roosts can be higher than the nests.
I would also reangle the steep sloped roof section so the short wall can be taller.

Not a hopeless situation at all.
Can I ask you a question? I found plans online to build a coop that is better and also an already made one that looks similar. Do either/both of these look better to you?

Attachments

• Image 9-22-20 at 1.47 PM.jpg
    Image 9-22-20 at 1.47 PM.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Image 9-22-20 at 1.48 PM.jpg
    Image 9-22-20 at 1.48 PM.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 4
Small prefab coops lack light and ventilation....and too small for 4 good sized birds.
They just started this sleeping on the roof thing....or have they always done it?
We moved in here on Aug 28 and they have done that since. I never knew it wasn't normal because we have never had chickens. The owner of the house told me that they have been fine for years "just doing nothing" (omg) and then his wife later told me "we just got them in March..." so... Meanwhile what do you think of the coops I just sent pix of to 21 Hens friend in thread

Back
Top Bottom