Sleeping on the floor.

tillergirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 6, 2009
My 3 girls are about 6/7 months old now and have been laying for several weeks.
smile.png

We have 2 perches which are higher than the nesting boxes. My 2 biggest girls sleep together on one perch and until last week littlest one LV did also but we notice she is now sleeping on the floor beneth the other 2.
Should we pick her up and put her on the perch or is she ok to sleep on the floor?
hmm.png

Thanks for your time.

Sarah.

It never bothered me that my hens slept, en masse, on the floor. Some use the perches, some sit on the floor, some use the nesting boxes. I figure they know what to do, and will move if they're uncomfortable.

I let mine sleep where ever as well. I've got a couple that roost, lay on top of each other, on the floor. They're safe that's what I'm concerned about, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a bunch that do that. Two roosters and about 5 hens plop down right in front of the door and sleep there. They aren't cold, that's for sure. You put your hand under the pile and you'd swear you stuck your hand into a sink full of very warm water only there's no wet.

I was worried about it at first, but got to thinking that as long as they're safe and warm, what's the diff?
cool.png

Our girls seem to switch up their sleeping positions quite often. Some times they're in nesting boxes, other times on a high perch and some times I've caught them on the floor.

I must agree with the other responses, as long as they're safe what's the difference where they sleep.

I love the pile sleeping. I moved my roosting board and everyone started sleeping on the floor again. It is funny to see how the "originals" sleep in one corner, and when they fully accept a new group they are then allowed to pile in. I am super surprised no one has suffocated with the Buff Orpingtons piling on top of the banties last.

Back
Top Bottom