Sleeping on the floor ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by basketmom, Jan 22, 2010.

1. basketmom

basketmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    I am so frustrated... after trying several kinds of roosts (now 2x4 flat side up) only 2 of my 11 chickens use the roost. The rest sleep on the raised wood floor in the pine shavings. They dig holes, roll around and cover themselves..... Is this normal?? I know they like to dust bath, but they like to do it before they sleep and then they settle down and sleep in the holes that they dug. I just went in there to snap this picture, you can see they are all snuggled up for bed.

[​IMG]

2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    My rooster does that too. In his defence, he has only 2 toes on each foot so i dont think he can get onto the roost.... My hens used to do it too, to be supportive, but they stopped. [​IMG]

3. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    I see you have one in the next box as well. If they are not ready to lay you should cover those. Will be full of poo.

Also, my birds are used to roosting on the ground in their tractor. So in winter when I bring their tractor to the green house they have roosts and all prefer to sleep in the hay. Nice and warm for them especially here in Wisconsin. Don't fret. Let them be who they are.

4. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I like to sleep on the floor. My friends think it's weird too.

5. basketmom

Nov 6, 2009
    Yes, that is my broody she is laying on her eggs
    Quote:

6. basketmom

Nov 6, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

7. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    looks to me like you keep the place so clean and fluffy they just can't help but roll around in the shavings in delight.

8. basketmom

Nov 6, 2009
    I know they are warmer, it's cold here but I have a heat lamp on in the coop and it does not get below 40 in there. I just worry about mites and it not being healthy for them on the floor verses the roost. I do keep it clean and put de down in between...I'm just a worry wart they are my babies and they don't roost like I have heard they should [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  9. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I just ran out in the rain to check on them one last time for the night, and to take a picture. I was going to ask the same thing! Mine don't sleep on the floor, they sleep in the nest boxes. They have access to the top of the nest boxes, and they have a ladder going up to the perch.

At least they lay in the nest boxes, too :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  10. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    basketmom - you have beautiful chickens! They look so fat and fluffy and shiny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by