Sleeping on the floor ??

basketmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
I am so frustrated... after trying several kinds of roosts (now 2x4 flat side up) only 2 of my 11 chickens use the roost. The rest sleep on the raised wood floor in the pine shavings. They dig holes, roll around and cover themselves..... Is this normal?? I know they like to dust bath, but they like to do it before they sleep and then they settle down and sleep in the holes that they dug. I just went in there to snap this picture, you can see they are all snuggled up for bed.

44107_bedtime_001.jpg

My rooster does that too. In his defence, he has only 2 toes on each foot so i dont think he can get onto the roost.... My hens used to do it too, to be supportive, but they stopped.
tongue.png

I see you have one in the next box as well. If they are not ready to lay you should cover those. Will be full of poo.

Also, my birds are used to roosting on the ground in their tractor. So in winter when I bring their tractor to the green house they have roosts and all prefer to sleep in the hay. Nice and warm for them especially here in Wisconsin. Don't fret. Let them be who they are.

I know they are warmer, it's cold here but I have a heat lamp on in the coop and it does not get below 40 in there. I just worry about mites and it not being healthy for them on the floor verses the roost. I do keep it clean and put de down in between...I'm just a worry wart they are my babies and they don't roost like I have heard they should
smile.png

Last edited:
I just ran out in the rain to check on them one last time for the night, and to take a picture. I was going to ask the same thing! Mine don't sleep on the floor, they sleep in the nest boxes. They have access to the top of the nest boxes, and they have a ladder going up to the perch.

At least they lay in the nest boxes, too :)

22588_sleepingsilkies.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom