Sleeping under the stars

Estelleannette

Songster
Mar 1, 2019
Marquette mi
so we got a new coop for our 4 hens, think the old one was too small, seeing one was sleeping outside. But now two sleep on the roof of the coop. Should I just let them be, hoping if they get cold they will go inside?

Attachments

• AA63DB42-61EB-456B-8FF9-B49D8378A0F3.jpeg
    AA63DB42-61EB-456B-8FF9-B49D8378A0F3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
I would put them in yourself. Since you have 4 grabbing them and putting them in shouldn’t be a problem. Predators will snatch those babies up if they aren’t in a coop. Keep them in the coop for a few hrs one day and keep an eye on them. I wouldn’t keep them in all day since the coop is relatively small for 4 (your coop is very cute so I’m not saying it’s bad but for a day it could get a little cramped)
Like @Ducksandchickens said try putting there favorite snack at night and close the coop. Eventually they’ll learn

Sorry, but I think this one is also too small for 4 birds.
Do you plan to winterize your run to keep the snow and wind out of it?
Yeah the square footage was right for them. They all lay eggs in it, three nesting boxes and they only use one. It’s bigger than the picture leads you to believe honestly. Only one , sometimes two, sleeps outside. We are looking into what we can do for the winter.

so we got a new coop for our 4 hens, think the old one was too small, seeing one was sleeping outside. But now two sleep on the roof of the coop. Should I just let them be, hoping if they get cold they will go inside?
Are you near a Dollar Tree? They have little round press on lights, LED. Stick one just inside the door of the coop on the wall. At dusk turn it on. It's lighter inside the coop then outside. My stubborn chicken's always go inside then. Only cost you a buck find out.

Back
Top Bottom