1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sleepless in California...Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by californiachick74, Mar 9, 2009.

1. californiachick74

californiachick74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Dear Friends here at BYC....Im hoping somoeone here in California can help....I have a rooster that is mean. Ive been attacked one too many times now by him. No matter what I seem to do he continues to attack me. Im worried about my children. They can no longer roam free and play in the backyard thus because of me worring about them being attacked. I want to give him away. Anyone interested in a free rooster. My husband plans to take him tomorrow and do away with him somehow....please if you live in So cal. his time is up.....please contact me here or via my email. Pic will follow!

[​IMG]
    He is 1 years old and does a fantastic job protecting his hens.....just to territorial for my family [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

You should try posting this in the BST trade section, or contact a mod about moving it. You might find some luck there! [​IMG]

Best Of Luck!

-Austin

3. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    Also try Craigslist.

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    he sure is pretty... but i have too many roosters now that i need to find homes for.... maybe a trade????

5. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I had one looking just like that who turned mean. Funny thing was that although he was big and strong, he was the least dominant of all my roosters, so he tried to take it out on me. As that line from Pretty Woman went 'mistake.... BIG mistake!' On his first attempt I gave him a swift kick, on the second attempt I granted my dog permission to work him over a little and by that evening, before the third attempt, he was donated to the gardener for chicken posole. End of story.

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    mmmmmmmmm posole..... would make great MOLE too,, most of my tough old birds become mole

7. californiachick74

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:Hi Austin...can you tell me what and where the BST trade section is? Aloso what is a mod?

Thanks [​IMG]

8. ryansmommy83

ryansmommy83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    southern california
    I have a golden comet roo and i would really like something closer to a game roo because i have 2 game hens i want a roo thats very protective because i live in an area that have quite a bit of natural preditors i wouls love to do a trade ! I'll take pictures of him tomorrow !
    [​IMG]

9. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    Hubby says to show him that YOU are the dominate one. Maybe you could take a straw broom to him, just to show him not to mess with y'all. Hubby says you could try chasing him for a while, see if he gets the hint.

10. californiachick74

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:Im actually very excited to see you post though I honestly can say to you that I am not interested in aquiring another roo. Your more than welcome to come here and take my roo home. I have no doubt that my roo will do the job that you want. My birds room freely on my property here in Menifee and he is always keeping track of all 10 of his hens. He is an amazing roo but he is too aggressive to me and my family. If your still interested, which I hope, please email me. I have an interest of someone who wants to come and pick him up off of craigslist but I have no doubt he will end up as dinner or as a fighter. Rather he end up with scenario such as yours.
    Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by