Sleepy and dead chickens

couldn't hurt to try some karo syrup (or pancake syrup) incase they are hypoglycemic (low blood sugar). they dont have to eat it, just get some in the mouth and it will absorb

Hi, I would order something for coccidiosis as soon as possible. Or talk some dog vet into selling you the med because dogs get it too.
Or you can try a store that sells parrots, they might have something.

Thank you all for your help and advice - it does definitely appear to be cocci. The four have survived overnight but are not looking too good. Luckily - thanks to you all who suggested it could be cocci - spoke with a friend here on the island and she had some medication from the UK "Coxoid" that treats it. I put it in the drinking water of my other chicks, and have been trying to get the other four to drink. Sometimes they will on their own, but other times they are just too out of it - I have given some by a syringe when they wouldn't take it themselves.
sad.png
I really don't know what to do for the best, they seem to be in a very bad state, and I don't know if we have caught it too late for these babies? Also now that I have given them Coxoid, would a vet administer anything else that may save them? Any opinions gratefully received...

I had 2 that were near death last year. On couldn't get up, and the other was spewing blood. I treated them, but had to syringe some into their mouths. By the end of the day of a few syringe feedings, they were able to drink on their own.

One of the two that were looking the worst which I had been syringing the medication decided to give up this morning
sad.png
Two seem to be responding to the medication slowly one eats on it's own and isn't sleepy all of the time and the other will walk a little then sit down and sleep.
I don't know what to do for the best with the other chick who's about 2-3 months old who seems to be getting worse. I've been giving the medication at the recommended dosage for 2 days and it is now just laying in box almost lifeless, it's still breathing (with quite some effort) but it's head is lolled at a strange angle and its eyes are closed.
Although all 4 of the chicks were displaying similar symptoms initially 2 got worse (one of these has now died) and 2 seem to be on the road to recovery. I think I may just have been too late with the medication even though it was administered on the same day we discovered the problem.
I'd definitely recommend anyone with birds should keep some Cocci medication on hand as in my experience you don't get a lot of time to get this into them before it's too late.

I agree with keeping some cocci meds on hand. It's common and kills quickly, leaving no time to order it and wait a few days. Nasty stuff. To top it all off, my 3 chicks were getting medicated feed, and had water stool. I had to take them off it, and put them on med-free feed. No more watery stool.

Can anyone recommend some food that would be good to give for those who are pulling through? I realize no yogurt/eggs for a while, and little protein, have been giving rolled oats to the one eating on her own, but worried for the others who have had little food for 3 days, is there something I could syringe? And would it be fine to give the more healthy one fruit? We still have 3 today - one looking great - which begs another question, when is safe to reintroduce them back in the coup? Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom