Sleepy chick - how can I help?

kat_and_hens

Songster
Oct 18, 2020
Maine
Hi all! We just received our baby chicks this morning via USPS (from mypetchicken.com). I know most people don’t raise chicks in fall/winter, but we have the indoor space to keep them safe until they can go out to a coop so I feel good about the choice. We really want eggs in the spring/summer!

Unfortunately , we had two chicks dead on arrival 😭 and now we have one, a lavender Orpington, who is very sleepy. She wakes up and peeps when picked up, but otherwise she’s got her eyes closed and wants to snuggle up. We did get her to drink, and are mixing up an electrolyte drink for them right now, but is there anything g else I can do for her? I would hate to lose her, especially since we’re down two chicks already.

Pic of this chick in question attached.

Thanks in advanced everyone! I’ve texted my local chicken friend but unfortunately she’s working right now.

Attachments

• B7A8C040-6B80-4044-A142-426D195FB6EE.jpeg
    B7A8C040-6B80-4044-A142-426D195FB6EE.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 9
  • E32D3A88-39DE-4E83-B719-BD61CE257A7A.jpeg
    E32D3A88-39DE-4E83-B719-BD61CE257A7A.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 5
I pray for your baby, I had one in last spring's batch I had to wake her up to eat and drink, she didn't live long. If you have a little baby turkey feed (powder) that is a little richer than the baby chicken feed. Mix with water to make a pudding. They will also eat egg yolks, but remove the white. (raw yolk) We tend to keep babies inside our shirt collars when they are little, as that keeps them warmer and they like the contact. I have kept some in my sweater (folded up like a kangaroo) to keep them warm when they are weaker. A good heat-lamp is important too.

make sure she is warm, dry, safe, and give her electrolytes like you have been and Probiotics. If she is sick in the gut that should help. Anything else you would like to or need to know.
Always looking to be helpful

Thanks everyone. We have the BrinSea EcoGlow heater for them. They’re in our insulated spare room which is heated and we also have a space heater in there so they should be cosy. I’m going to try and get her to drink again. I just warmed up some blankets in the dryer, I’ll wrap her up in one. I’ll keep you all posted 🤞

Back
Top Bottom