Sleepy chick - how can I help?

kat_and_hens

Songster
Oct 18, 2020
Maine
Hi all! We just received our baby chicks this morning via USPS (from mypetchicken.com). I know most people don’t raise chicks in fall/winter, but we have the indoor space to keep them safe until they can go out to a coop so I feel good about the choice. We really want eggs in the spring/summer!

Unfortunately , we had two chicks dead on arrival 😭 and now we have one, a lavender Orpington, who is very sleepy. She wakes up and peeps when picked up, but otherwise she’s got her eyes closed and wants to snuggle up. We did get her to drink, and are mixing up an electrolyte drink for them right now, but is there anything g else I can do for her? I would hate to lose her, especially since we’re down two chicks already.

Pic of this chick in question attached.

Thanks in advanced everyone! I’ve texted my local chicken friend but unfortunately she’s working right now.

Attachments

• B7A8C040-6B80-4044-A142-426D195FB6EE.jpeg
    B7A8C040-6B80-4044-A142-426D195FB6EE.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 9
  • E32D3A88-39DE-4E83-B719-BD61CE257A7A.jpeg
    E32D3A88-39DE-4E83-B719-BD61CE257A7A.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 5
I'm sorry about your losses, and your sleepy chick. She's a pretty one!

I had one chick who seemed alright for the first few days, and then got sleepier. I put electrolytes in the water, gave her NutriDrench a few times, and fed her pieces of hard boiled egg yolk several times a day. She did end up making it, and is now a feisty 8 week old.. but you can do everything right and still lose them sometimes. I'll be rooting for you guys!

chick update: this morning, when my husband went in to check on them, the chick came running out to see him, peeping and happy! We knew it was her because her face is covered in egg yolk, haha. We will wash her off when she is stronger. She is drinking independently and looking much more like the rest of the flock.

Now, of course, the other Orpington is looking extremely sleepy and lethargic. I'm watching her back end for pasty butt as I see some traces of poop on it. I'm following the same protocol now - Nutri-Drench and egg yolk and keeping her very warm. I hope we can continue to keep them both strong. Wish us luck that they continue to thrive!

update: baby is still alive. I picked them up from the post office at 9:30 AM this morning so we're closing in on 12 hours here. She still is really lethargic and won't eat or drink independently. I did pick up the Nutri-Drench from TSC and gave her some on a Q-Tip. My husband is trying to get her to take some egg yolk but she is not interested. Everyone else is still lively and cheeping away. I hope she'll last the night, but I'm not optimistic...

I did talk to a local farmer who has some Easter Eggers in her incubator right now though! They should hatch in 3 weeks. That's the same kind that was DOA for us this morning. So I am hoping I can get a few of those from her and integrate them right away if the current babies don't pick on them, otherwise I'll have to get a second brooder. She doesn't sex, so I could end up with some cockerels I'd need to rehome (my town doesn't allow roosters).

Thanks everyone. We have the BrinSea EcoGlow heater for them. They’re in our insulated spare room which is heated and we also have a space heater in there so they should be cosy. I’m going to try and get her to drink again. I just warmed up some blankets in the dryer, I’ll wrap her up in one. I’ll keep you all posted 🤞

SUGAR WATER. And poultridrench.
Make up a batch of simple syrup (just dissolve regular sugar in warm water). By dropper or Qtip ... or on the pointy edge of a zip-tie, pretty easy to work little bits into the beak that way.

I had one arrive I was pretty sure was dead. I went to take the proof of death picture and her eye flickered.

I used a blow dryer on low, sugar water and poultridrench to get her going and from there you'd never know which one it was.

Last edited:
I pray for your baby, I had one in last spring's batch I had to wake her up to eat and drink, she didn't live long. If you have a little baby turkey feed (powder) that is a little richer than the baby chicken feed. Mix with water to make a pudding. They will also eat egg yolks, but remove the white. (raw yolk) We tend to keep babies inside our shirt collars when they are little, as that keeps them warmer and they like the contact. I have kept some in my sweater (folded up like a kangaroo) to keep them warm when they are weaker. A good heat-lamp is important too.

make sure she is warm, dry, safe, and give her electrolytes like you have been and Probiotics. If she is sick in the gut that should help. Anything else you would like to or need to know.
Always looking to be helpful

Back
Top Bottom