Sleepy chick - how can I help?

chick update: this morning, when my husband went in to check on them, the chick came running out to see him, peeping and happy! We knew it was her because her face is covered in egg yolk, haha. We will wash her off when she is stronger. She is drinking independently and looking much more like the rest of the flock.

Now, of course, the other Orpington is looking extremely sleepy and lethargic. I'm watching her back end for pasty butt as I see some traces of poop on it. I'm following the same protocol now - Nutri-Drench and egg yolk and keeping her very warm. I hope we can continue to keep them both strong. Wish us luck that they continue to thrive!
Awesome to hear!
I hope your other chick gets better too.

Hey everyone. I have another chick update. The first Orpington continues to do well: eating, drinking, pooping and exploring the brooder with her friends. The second Orpington, however (the one who was initially the stronger one) has declined rapidly over the course of the day. Despite giving her sugar water, Nutri-Drench, egg yolk and keeping her warm, she’s so weak now she will just lay on her back in my palm when I hold her. She will no longer drink even when I dip her beak or offer her a Q tip.

I can’t seem to bring myself to cull her. But I don’t think she’s going to make it. My question: do I let her pass in the brooder with her friends and in the warmth of the EcoGlow, or do I put her in her own little box? I have a space heater I could aim at her to keep her warm. It feels mean to separate her but I worry on the off chance she has some kind of infection...I’m 99% sure it’s a failure to thrive sort of thing, since the other Orpington has rallied, but you never know.

what do you folks think?

Hey everyone. I have another chick update. The first Orpington continues to do well: eating, drinking, pooping and exploring the brooder with her friends. The second Orpington, however (the one who was initially the stronger one) has declined rapidly over the course of the day. Despite giving her sugar water, Nutri-Drench, egg yolk and keeping her warm, she’s so weak now she will just lay on her back in my palm when I hold her. She will no longer drink even when I dip her beak or offer her a Q tip.

I can’t seem to bring myself to cull her. But I don’t think she’s going to make it. My question: do I let her pass in the brooder with her friends and in the warmth of the EcoGlow, or do I put her in her own little box? I have a space heater I could aim at her to keep her warm. It feels mean to separate her but I worry on the off chance she has some kind of infection...I’m 99% sure it’s a failure to thrive sort of thing, since the other Orpington has rallied, but you never know.

what do you folks think?
The other chicks might peck at her and that's bad.
It's best to seperate her.

another sad update: when we went up to our room for the night and checked on her in our spare room, she had passed away. Looks like none of the others had been bothering her body, but sad to see her go. That's three we lost from this batch. But, everyone else still looks bright eyed and is eating/drinking well. Fingers crossed they continue to thrive.

Back
Top Bottom