HELP - dead chicks??

They all fell asleep in a pile last night - but they were in the middle of the brooder (against the wall), so I assumed they’d move to the hot end if they were cold? The temp at the cool end read 93, so I can’t imagine they were too cold?
Yes, you are correct that post was for OP don't believe they seen cool temp of brooder.

You have received some good advice and info hoping everything goes well for you and chicks from here on out. Don't be afraid to ask if you have any other questions there are some very knowledgeable folks on here more than willing to help. :thumbsup
Hey! So I reconfigured the set up, brooder significantly larger with the cool end at 80-83 and the hot end at 95. I wanted to get the cool end closer to 70, so I put a brooder plate in (I’ve never used one before).

The brooder plate surface temp reads 138 with my heat gun 🤯🥵 I’ve checked it multiple times, I have it set up correctly. Surface beneath the brooder plate reads 91 and the chicks themselves read 95-97. The cool end outside of the brooder is 70.

If my chicks are reading in the 90’s AND they have room to leave the plate and cool down/heat up - is this ok?! I am worried about that high temp…it seems really high to me?? But the chicks are reading 90’s??

Ack! Any thought appreciated. Thanks!

Hey! So I reconfigured the set up, brooder significantly larger with the cool end at 80-83 and the hot end at 95. I wanted to get the cool end closer to 70, so I put a brooder plate in (I’ve never used one before).

The brooder plate surface temp reads 138 with my heat gun 🤯🥵 I’ve checked it multiple times, I have it set up correctly. Surface beneath the brooder plate reads 91 and the chicks themselves read 95-97. The cool end outside of the brooder is 70.

If my chicks are reading in the 90’s AND they have room to leave the plate and cool down/heat up - is this ok?! I am worried about that high temp…it seems really high to me?? But the chicks are reading 90’s??

Ack! Any thought appreciated. Thanks!
Just FYI - I took down the light when I put the brooder plate in 😅 just so there’s no confusion about the high heat.

I’ve lifted one end of the brooder plate high, and the chicks keep heading toward the hottest spot of the plate…which means they’re ok with the heat, I guess??? I just don’t want to accidentally bake my girls 😩💔

Just FYI - I took down the light when I put the brooder plate in 😅 just so there’s no confusion about the high heat.

I’ve lifted one end of the brooder plate high, and the chicks keep heading toward the hottest spot of the plate…which means they’re ok with the heat, I guess??? I just don’t want to accidentally bake my girls 😩💔
Sounds like you have been busy :) From your post's things sound like they are going well for the rest of your littles.

Now you can fully see what I was explaining about the 250-watt bulb indoors in a smaller space. If I brood indoor I use lower wattage bulbs, I like 175 watt or less for indoors. You can even get them even lower in reptile heat bulbs.

I have been haha. Should I be worried about the brooder plate temp? Or trust that they’ll leave if they need to? Thanks for your answers!
Sounds like temp under is 91 that should be fine. They will do the rest on their own they know where they like it. With the plate on an angle, they will regulate how close to plate they feel comfortable with. I have never used brooder plates, but they can be good in warmer areas most tend to work best in the 50 degree and above range.

Back
Top Bottom