Sleepy Loner Hen

Mimimonster

Hatching
Feb 2, 2015
Hello I need some advice. I have a 20 week Buff Orpington that for the last 2 days has been sitting alone sleeping a lot. She doesn't eat or drink anything and so I have been giving her water with a little honey and put her in her own area with food last night.
This morning I found she had a greenish color to her leavings. I read that buttermilk is a good thing to give chickens, so I did that this morning and she seemed to like that...but this afternoon she is back to her normal sleepy self.
I understand this breed can be broody; is this a sign she is going to lay an egg? Can she be broody and never layed her own egg? Or is this a bigger problem?
Thanks for any advice in advance!

Hello I need some advice. I have a 20 week Buff Orpington that for the last 2 days has been sitting alone sleeping a lot. She doesn't eat or drink anything and so I have been giving her water with a little honey and put her in her own area with food last night.
This morning I found she had a greenish color to her leavings. I read that buttermilk is a good thing to give chickens, so I did that this morning and she seemed to like that...but this afternoon she is back to her normal sleepy self.
I understand this breed can be broody; is this a sign she is going to lay an egg? Can she be broody and never layed her own egg? Or is this a bigger problem?
Thanks for any advice in advance!

Are her eyes bright? Is there any nasal discharge? Any loss of weight? Are the feathers rough looking? Are the droppings watery as well as greenish? I would separate this hen from the rest until you know what is wrong. I would be worried that it is "a bigger problem". Good luck.

No red eyes, I can't see any nasal discharge. And I don't notice any weight loss. Her feathers look good too. He droppings were watery and now they are solid. She seems more active this evening..but still just sits in her nesting box not eating. I did notice her saliva seems really thick. Thanks for the reply..I will separate and see if she improves.
fl.gif

I went to my local feed store; where I spoke to a very knowledgeable man about my bird. And he seems to think that the bird is being bullied by the other hens. I know her face has turned red, and I found a site that stated that chickens identify each other by their combs, so maybe the other hens don't see her as the same chicken?! She is in the house now, in a cage and still so very sad. No really improvement. I will continue to force feed and water her so she has some food in her. I guess my new question is how to do I make a sad bullied chicken happy?
caf.gif

If her face is turning red, she's getting close to ready to lay eggs. The other pullets should follow suit soon. My BO pullets didn't start laying until about 25 weeks, and were the last in my flock to lay. I think once your other girls start with the "hormones" that get them ready to lay eggs, they'll be a bit more accepting. I'd let her stay separate as long as she likes. They should roost in the evening peacefully. I've had birds do this before, and then a few days to a week later were back ranging with the flock. Unless she's sick, which she does not seem to be, I would not rock the boat and let her rejoin the others when she's ready.

Also, BO's are famous for being broody, but both of my 2 year old BO's have NEVER been broody. My 9 month old Cochins have both been broody, and there is no mistaking it. Each hen is different. She might have those hormones going and may be going broody - you never know.

I went to my local feed store; where I spoke to a very knowledgeable man about my bird. And he seems to think that the bird is being bullied by the other hens. I know her face has turned red, and I found a site that stated that chickens identify each other by their combs, so maybe the other hens don't see her as the same chicken?! She is in the house now, in a cage and still so very sad. No really improvement. I will continue to force feed and water her so she has some food in her. I guess my new question is how to do I make a sad bullied chicken happy?
caf.gif

Not being bullied should go a long way in helping this bird. I've never noticed any of my chickens minding being alone, but if you feel this is a problem, do you have a weaker, less dominant hen you can put with her? I don't understand having to force feed. If this hen is refusing to eat then I believe there is another problem. Keep a close eye on her. Best of luck.

Thank you for your reply. She isn't eating or drinking at all. I really hope she starts eating soon. Thanks again!

Thank you for the reassurance. I will keep a close eye on her. She doesn't seem to mind being in the house, she does look a little better today..but she is still not drinking or eating. Thank you for replying.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom