Sliding Dropping Board.

Quote:
I bought one of those big plastic scrapers at The Home Depot in the drywall section that they use to put joint compound over the tape. Works like a dream!

Last edited:
Quote:
Go to the hardware store and buy a cheap 3-4" putty knife.

Mine is a 6" putty knife... I keep it in the coop with my poop bucket. Scrape the droppings into the poop bucket, empty into compost every 2-3 days (although now that it's warming up, I'll have to start emptying every day).

I am planning on having a dropping board door like you describe, but I am not going to have it on sliders or anything. The door will be outside access just like an egg door, but it will be long and skinny. I'm going to use a flat (no sides) large cookie sheet for the droppings board, so I think it should slide in and out pretty easily on its own. My husband started framing the coop today, so when I have pics I'll post them.

Quote:
OK, what's a piano hinge?? I've seen this referenced a few times, and if it's helpful, I want one!!
smile.png

A piano henge is a long........ henge . It can be as long as 6 feet. or as short as you need, and can find it. A continuous hinge. hope this helps. Gloria Jean

New Chick, a piano hinge is just like the hinge you use on your door, but it comes in a really long length. You can cut it to size, if you need. It offers support for the entire length of the door. You don't have to worry about getting the alignment straight, like if you put more than one hinge on something. And I understand it makes it harder for the Raccoons to rip one side open.

I'm in the process of building a coop and I just installed the poop board today. I made mine pretty much the way you describe. On one end of the coop, I will have two large doors that cover the entire end of the coop. On the right side are the roosts and the poop board.
I'll be able to slide the board out, scrape it off and slide it back in. My food and water will be hanging just inside the left door. In the winter, when it's 5° outside I want to be able to get the whole process done as quickly as possible.

I got another idea I'm goin to try. line my board with shredded leaves or clippings. Then I can pull the board out spray with water and dump right onto the compost pile. All done in one step nice and tidy.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom