slight wheeze

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tink65, Jan 19, 2015.

1. tink65

tink65 New Egg

Nov 23, 2014
    its been almost two months inside and lt.dan (he aint got no foot) is healed of the frostbite. lost 5 toes in total, only has one scab left where he got a sore on his keel from the coop before i brough him in. now that he can use his nubby foot hes more intent on crowing all day and chasing my 75lb chow/lab around the house rather than cuddle, so i only now noticed his wheeze.
    hes been extra ornery the last couple days, and i picked him up to put to bed i noticed he has a slight wheeze on the inhale, no noise on the exhale, and it looks like a very labored breath. what should i look for tomorrow and how should i determine a course of action? do chickens just get congested? should i start him on vitamins again and not worry? he looks compleyely normal, if it means anything hes been drinking alot more water lately too.
    thanks for any insight

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Vitamins would not hurt, Respiratory issues in chickens are troubling. I had some that shook off by them self, and also lost 3 chicks inside a week from different . Not sure exactly which bug it was because did not do necropsy.
    As to Lt, Dan, and no leg, I have a hen that lost all her toes, One at a time, due to some kind of gangrine, and now walks on stumps, but perfectly well. Her name is cotton. You can figure that one out. LOL
    AND [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by