Slightly insulted, very amused

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
I interviewed for a job that I could do with my eyes shut a month ago. The interview went "well" considering it was my first interview in nearly 6 years. But I have been keeping myself current on computer technology etc. So I am not totally out of the swing. Plus I have been working my butt off with the daycare thing, fudge and now Festive. Anyway.

They emailed me the very next day that they were going with someone else. Ok. Mom hours (which they were fine with). Surprise No school days etc they didnt seem to happy with. Not a problem.

Anyway, the woman I interviewed with just called and left a message. They are "wondering if I am still available" Guess the other person they decided to go with didnt quite fit.
tongue.png

Now, granted. I could use this job. The money is good. But I am STILL a MOM. That hasnt changed. My daughter will always come first. Plus now I have other options that are coming to me. More temp type jobs that "get" that there will be snow days etc that I might need to either be home with kid or bring kid with me. And there is also the fact I have a memorial service to attend some time next week for my grandfather(When my grandmother died I had a daycare parent tell me I wasnt "reliable" when I took two days off to grieve and attend the service.)
I dont know if these people, by what I felt during the interview will even be understanding about that. Granted. I dont think my mom, stepfather or FIL and my one MIL are going to suddenly die on me,, but heck. One never knows!

I am going to call her back.. but I am insulted that I wasnt good enough before, but NOW I am. More amused though. I kinda feel like saying "Told ya so" Even though I have no idea who the other person that they choose over me is.

I have been there, except I don't have kids. But I have been a "next" choice.
Does kind of make you want to say "nanny nanny boo boo"
lau.gif

Well, I think it is great they called you. They realize their mistake in not hiring you in the first place and come to you with hat in hand to beg you for a second chance. You can graciously accept the grovelling and agree to bestow upon them your expertise.
lau.gif

Even better....they called you back knowing your restrictions!
yippiechickie.gif

Which means they are going to work with you to accomodate you!

Quote:
did you take the job? And did it "work" out for you?

I mean seriously. I could do this job from home on those sneaky snow days, or if the kid is sick and the dh cant be out due to his direct boss being out. Like today. He is in charge of the office.
I guess I am just concerned about their attitude and all that.

I agree with Terrielacy...they decided that for whatever reason, you and your unexpected school days were a better choice than their original one. Just be sure and tell them that you have the Memorial service the day you accept. They obviously agreed to work with your restrictions, so don't sweat it. You might remind them of those, before you go in. Just to be sure.

Good luck and congratulations!

Shelly

Rhett&SarahsMom :

Quote:
did you take the job? And did it "work" out for you?

I mean seriously. I could do this job from home on those sneaky snow days, or if the kid is sick and the dh cant be out due to his direct boss being out. Like today. He is in charge of the office.
I guess I am just concerned about their attitude and all that.

I took the job and stayed 10 years, I left after they grew to big for their britches and started micro managing, Geez who cares how many times a day I go to the bathroom (seriously, they counted through the phone code system you used, if it was more time than allotted, you got written up)
th.gif

I had the same thing happen to me. Someone else got the job then a month later I was called and asked was I still available. I took the job and found out the other person lied about their experience and couldn't do the job. I stayed at that job for 14 years.

Don't feel bad that you didn't get the job the first time around. You may find that the reason someone else was chosen was some simple little difference or that the other person put on a good "dog and pony show" but couldn't actually do the job.

This job doesn't sound like it is your dream job and you felt during the interview that they would not be flexiable with your family obligations. Make sure if you take the job that you tell them once again about the time that you need to be with the children and if they don't agree then don't take the job. It will only make for a bad situation where you will feel you can't call in to take time off.

I'm currently in a job where I was the 2nd choice. The person who was the 1st choice only lasted 6 months and nobody liked her.

In a way I'm glad that they had her first, because I've had the opportunity to follow someone who complained constantly, was super stressed, and hated her job. I'm easy-going, upbeat, and love my job. I've been here nearly 3 years and am still happy.

Good for you R&S.

I think I woulda slapped the ijit who got mad when you had to take time off for a memorial...pfft.
I KNOW I woulda slapped her...who am I kidding?

I agree with Terrie also...

When I was in management, I'd go for the person who had the experience rather than a teeny bopper.

When in mgt., I would also go with a more mature candidate. But I have to be frank, I always "passed" on people who came in with a list of THEIR requirements. I was hiring to fill the company's needs. I really didn't care if Ralph "had to" go bowling every Tue. and Thurs. night, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I am a mom, too. But there are plenty of parents who create back-up plans, so that they can serve the needs of the company. I found that when I showed my own boss that I could be flexible, she was flexible with me.

Back
Top Bottom