Slighty wrinkled eggs

LunaSunflower

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2020
Good morning and please and thank you in advance!

My RIR laid a longer then usual slightly wrinkled egg you almost can't see it.

It's not uncommon for some of her eggs to be just a tad bit longer then the rest.

But I'm worried the slight wrinkles could be a sign that the big time overly wrinkled eggs could be forming?

I wouldn't say their coop is over crowded it very large should be able to fit 14 but we only have 8

No roos

We have enrichment toys with seeds berries ect

Flock block

They are on an organic pellet feed

They get a mixture if scratch + os 2 or 3 times a day a small cup I sprinkle around the coop n the areas they play outside the coop

And a salad with fresh greens veggies n fruits n oats everyday

We rake out and spot clean everyday

Once a month the coop gets a whole do over

We also have organic mites and lice preventative we spray around n on the coop a couple times a month

Attachments

• 20200206_084836.jpg
    20200206_084836.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200206_084724.jpg
    20200206_084724.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 11
Check out "misshapen eggs" in the Egg Quality Handbook. The Egg Quality Handbook is for commercial operations not us backyard people, but it has some useful information. If it is just one egg, I consider it no big deal. It's just an oops. I figure we are all entitled to an oops every once in a while. If it becomes consistent then you may have an issue.

https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook

Many hens consistently lay longer than normal eggs. Some lay rounder than normal eggs. If you are eating them yourself, that is not an issue. If you are selling them some customers might not like eggs that look a little different. I personally would not try to hatch an egg that is unusually long, that might be genetic and the chick may have trouble orienting itself. But I would not hesitate to eat it.

I wouldn't say their coop is over crowded it very large should be able to fit 14 but we only have 8

I always get nervous when I read something like this. What are you basing that on? Many prefab coop manufacturers double or triple the number of chickens their coops are good for.

We also have organic mites and lice preventative we spray around n on the coop a couple times a month

I have no idea what is in this. Maybe a perfume, maybe a pesticide. Some people look at "organic" as if that gives them a free licence. You are using it because you think it has some effect. Some organic pesticides are so nasty they have been banned from use. There is a real good chance whatever you are using is harmless and not a problem, but in some ways "organic" throws up a flag for me. It generally means the product has not been tested for safety or effectiveness.

If that egg is anything other than an oops, I'd look at stress, possibly from overcrowding but maybe something else. If this is the only egg like that I don't think you have any issues. If it is only this the one hen laying those eggs, then it is an individual hen issue, not a flock wide problem and you are not doing anything wrong. It also may be really hard to fix.

Check out "misshapen eggs" in the Egg Quality Handbook. The Egg Quality Handbook is for commercial operations not us backyard people, but it has some useful information. If it is just one egg, I consider it no big deal. It's just an oops. I figure we are all entitled to an oops every once in a while. If it becomes consistent then you may have an issue.

https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook

Many hens consistently lay longer than normal eggs. Some lay rounder than normal eggs. If you are eating them yourself, that is not an issue. If you are selling them some customers might not like eggs that look a little different. I personally would not try to hatch an egg that is unusually long, that might be genetic and the chick may have trouble orienting itself. But I would not hesitate to eat it.

I always get nervous when I read something like this. What are you basing that on? Many prefab coop manufacturers double or triple the number of chickens their coops are good for.

I have no idea what is in this. Maybe a perfume, maybe a pesticide. Some people look at "organic" as if that gives them a free licence. You are using it because you think it has some effect. Some organic pesticides are so nasty they have been banned from use. There is a real good chance whatever you are using is harmless and not a problem, but in some ways "organic" throws up a flag for me. It generally means the product has not been tested for safety or effectiveness.

If that egg is anything other than an oops, I'd look at stress, possibly from overcrowding but maybe something else. If this is the only egg like that I don't think you have any issues. If it is only this the one hen laying those eggs, then it is an individual hen issue, not a flock wide problem and you are not doing anything wrong. It also may be really hard to fix.

We hand built out coop
I attached photos we where told we could keep 14 + by other chicken owners but our 8 seem just fine n not stressed if I'm not mistaken then hen house us 12Sq ft top lever is also 12sq ft n bottom is 40sq ft

N we are going to be attaching a run + arviary this spring to the right once we clear out the bushes n things

As for the spray I make it my self with essential oils and herbs we only spray it on the out side frame of the coup and once a month on the inside when we clean it out completely to the frame never on the chickens n the the girls are free roaming untill coup is cleaned out n dry

It going to storm here today that's why their are inside they will hide in the tree n heavy shrub areas around the yard during a storm when free roaming n we have lost some girls to hawks when they do that

So when. We get a storm warning we keep them up for the day

Attachments

• 15810059030305668588826620335171.jpg
    15810059030305668588826620335171.jpg
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 1581005916199432154923069325361.jpg
    1581005916199432154923069325361.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
You are feeding way too many treats too often.
Cut back all of the extras to only one day a week and only feed the complete balanced layer feed.

Those "wrinkle" things you mentioned look normal to me. All of my eggs have them and our birds are totally healthy.

Those "wrinkle" things you mentioned look normal to me. All of my eggs have them and our birds are totally healthy.

Thank you I probably just freaked my self out I w as s reading articles a couple of days before about egg production and how it forms ect and they talked about different issues u see with eggs

It probably turned me into a bit of a Hypochondriac lol

Wrinkled eggs are nothing to be worried about! Ridges and misshapen eggs sometimes just happen! in the exterior egg grading department, it would be considered a B egg but for us farm people that are perfectly fine for us! Ridges and misshapen-ness make the egg a little easier to break, making this the main reason you don't see them in your average dozen at the store. There are lots of different exterior problems that can happen, even some where the egg breaks inside the chicken and she patches it up herself before she lays it!

Thank you I probably just freaked my self out I w as s reading articles a couple of days before about egg production and how it forms ect and they talked about different issues u see with eggs

It probably turned me into a bit of a Hypochondriac lol
Gotta watch that ;)
There are many 'worst case scenarios' posted here on BYC,
don't let them make you panic.

This^^^ a few of my birds have done this, as long as bird seems healthy, nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom