Slime in my waterers! help!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TLee, Jul 11, 2009.

1. TLee

TLee New Egg

Jul 1, 2009
    Hi all - first post by me.
    New with hens and having trouble with slime in my waterers.
    My waterers are inside the coop in the shade, the ladies are outside all day with freedom to go in and out of the coop.
    Both waterers - a 3 gal and a 5 gal - get slimy by day 2.
    I scrub them inside and out - but still, they get slimy and I dont think the ladies want to drink from them.
    What can I do? Can I add something (no chemical suggestions, please - I am a toxin free home)
  2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    What about using organic apple cider vinegar? It is very good for them, (there are tons of threads on organic acv) and it will definitely keep the slime down also. Mine are in the coop in the shade and it works great. I can go about a week without having to rinse my waterers. I just dump and pour new water and acv in there every other day depending on the weather. Love it!!

Use it at 2 tablespoons per gallon. I've been giving it to my chicks from about 2 weeks old and they've been on it ever since-they love it!! [​IMG]

BTW-welcome to BYC!!!
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yup, lots of others on here would agree, organic ACV.
  4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It makes them easier to clean too and the ACV is anti-bacterial
  5. Chicken Ninja

Chicken Ninja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Waterers with a copper finish are almost immune to getting slime on them. This is because copper is anti-microbial, and algae cannot grow on it.

Cannot say that I've seen many like this, but it would definately get rid of your slime problem.
  6. chik magnet

chik magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Enid OK
    Welcome to BYC!!!
  7. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    I have heard that you should make sure your waterers are not metallic, if you choose to use ACV.

I have one small bowl that I wash and refill every day and a large waterer that gets scrubbed out once a week. That makes it a little easier.
  8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    [​IMG] and thanks for the question. I never would have thought of it.
  9. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I need to increase my ACV (using Braggs) as I have the same problem. I have been using only a teaspoon per gallon. Thanks.

Birds doing fine with the misters in our 104 temp (heat index 110-113) stress as they run around with their mouths closed. Also have a couple of feed pans with 3-4 inches of water in their run that they love to jump into. Off topic but not off season. [​IMG]
  10. Babe77

Babe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    I have heard that you should make sure your waterers are not metallic, if you choose to use ACV.

What happens if they are metallic? I just purchased a Double Walled Waterer.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by