Slime in Waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rufflemyfeathers, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    What can you use to keep the waterers from getting that slim inside them..I use ACV daily when change water and wash them but always so slimmy..I read somewhere on here I do believe there is something that helps that but haven't found it. ACV is Apple Cider Vinigar with the mother..I use organic.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Hmmm...I don't get the slime using ACV. I put 4 TBL per gallon of water.

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Maybe I should be putting more ACV in my water them probably only put 1 TBSP. per gal..I will have to change habbits I guess.. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  4. lisebarb

lisebarb Chillin' With My Peeps

What's ACV?
    Even though I've raised it up on bricks, my gals kick straw and dirt up into their waterer so I'm constantly cleaning it out. Every few days I give it a good soap and water wash.

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Adding a couple of drops of chlorine can help. I'ts what water co. uses to control bacteria. Just a little will do. I would say about one drop per gal will be plenty without overdoing it. You can get a cheap clorine tester at wal mart.. it's the kind that they use to test pools.

6. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    I never have a problem with slimey water bowls. Maybe that's because I wash them twice a day...... [​IMG]

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I occasionally use 1/8 tsp. Oxine per gallon of drinking water, but I also remember it kills beneficial as well as harmful bacteria ~ including those in the bird's digestive system. I do not use Oxine more than 1 day/week, and I alternate with water-soluble probiotics.

Changing water and cleaning waterers regularly should solve any slime issue. Good luck!

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Scrub them REAL WELL and then let them sit, dry, in direct sunlight all day for a couple days. (Use pans or such to give the chickens water in temporarily). Then make sure you are scrubbing real well each time.

Also keeping the waterers in a darker rather than lighter location will help, e.g. in shade rather than sun. (These are plastic waterers, yes?)

Good luck,

Pat

10. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Once I moved mine to shady spots... I didn't have a slime problem. I clean them as needed, not even every week, and rinse them really well every other day when they get filled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by