slimy waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cocotte, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Cocotte

Cocotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Is there something I can add to the water to keep it from getting slimy and gross so quickly?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I just keep a scrubbing dish brush and some dishwashing liquid in the garage. When I start seeing the "green" algae starting to build up in the lip of the waterers, I just bring them out and scrub the waterers down.

I used to bleach them too. But not any more. I keep them really clean with this method.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Putting a few spoons of apple cider vinegar in there is supposed to help, plus it's supposed to have other health benefits... It did seem to delay algae growth this summer in my chickens' waterers.

4. Cocotte

Cocotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Quote:I'll try that! I do scrub them out with dishsoap all the time, but they just get green so fast!

5. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    oxine or bleach works-in the water

6. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    Just remember not to use ACV in the metal water cans as it will break down the metal and can be toxic. It can however, safely be used in the plastic water containers.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Apple cider vinegar will keep them from becoming slimy and gross. I don't have it in there 100% of the time, so when they do get slimy and green, I keep a (new, clean) toilet bowl brush in my little supply room that I scrub out the waterer with. It works well.

8. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    ACV, and then scrub the waterers out thoroughly between fillings. I use a 5 gallon bucket waterer with 1/4 cup of unpasteurized ACV, and scrub it out every two weeks. The bucket is usually slimy by the time I clean and refill it, but not moldy or growing algae. Getting it really clean means fewer bacteria and algae spores, so the growth curve will be much slower and the water will stay cleaner longer.

9. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Copper in the water prevents algae and slime buildup really well. A piece of copper pipe or some sort of fitting dropped in the water is all you need. Even a handful of pennies will work well. That's why so many plumbing pipes/parts are copper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by