Sling ideas

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by thndrdancr, Dec 3, 2014.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Can I get some ideas that might work for a sling for my peateen. I guess he is older than I thought, hatched July 27th. I have his leg taped and he is in a pet carrier on soft rags in house right now but if I could rig a sling I know it would be better. He
    Put it out yesterday afternoon, I bet when I was out feeding them grapes' so he was pulling one of those 'snatch and grabs' from the other birds. :(

He is not overly stressed as he was raised in the house but he is a lil aggravated with being contained.

Thanks everyone.

I have done a sling for baby silkie but never a big old goofy pea.

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
  3. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I spent some time looking. This is what I've found:

My cousins used a pair of cotton mens briefs and a piece of dowel. they stuck the chickens legs thru the leg holes, and the dowel thru 2 new holes just under the waist band. good luck w/ your girl.

Sorry I don't remember where I "borrowed" this from.If you find something better, tell us, please. I've looked and there is a lot of talk about slinging poultry but very little actual information on how to do it.

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Thanks guysl, I do appreciate your help, but I spent 3 hours trying to wrestle Answer into a sling. Your right they Hate it.

He is just at that age where he powerful enough that he flaps out of it. I tried wrapping him like I seen Dr pol on TV do a chicken and that worked real well for about an hour. Next thing I knew he was flying up on my sisters $100 brand new peacock lamp (oh the irony).

I hate to give up on him since he has been real cooperative. That is til i think I have him contained. I can tell u now the sling idea has been thrown out the window. I am not giving up tho!

New 2 peas, what an agreeable bird, I don't even have a chicken that cooperative!!!!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  5. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    I had to keep a younger one from flapping around once a long time ago, and I cut the leg out if a pair of tights, so I had a long fabric tube, slid this down over the body with the wings in the natural folded position, it worked for quite a while, perhaps it would keep him in the sling? [​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by