Slipped Tendon?? Femur??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Getaway Gal, May 29, 2010.

1. Getaway Gal

Getaway Gal In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Hocking Hills
    This is a 4 week old Welsummer chick. I noticed she had a crooked toe and this odd looking leg just about three days ago. One other out of the group has the crooked toe, but no other issues. This one limps and the leg cocks out to the side. As you can see from the pics, the bad joint looks much larger. She only VERY occasionally holds it up, but does lay down more than the others. Eating & drinking seems fine, although her weight is MUCH lighter than the others. She also has a wheeze or rattle and a cough...I don't know if these are connected at all.

This is good leg, foot often curled when she was being held like this.
    [​IMG]

This is bad leg, foot never curled while I was holding her.
    [​IMG]

This is close up of toe (through the hardware cloth over container).
    [​IMG]

1) What type of bird , age and weight....4 week old Welsummer.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly....Limping, Lays down more than others, Middle toe bent to one side.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?...Only identified this about three days ago out of the group.
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma....No.
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation...Nothing, that I know of.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all...Medicated chick starter, water.
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc....Normal.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?...Just separated from others.
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?...Really depends on diagnosis, I guess.
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use...Stock tank with straw.

Any help you can provide would be VERY much appreciated!!
    Thanks!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would have to guess that it was broken somehow .. I have a hen that had her toe caught int he fencing and after we got her out it always stayed that way(until the toe fell offf 6months later)

3. mnhomeschoolmom

mnhomeschoolmom In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2009
    MN
    We have a chicken, now about 7 months old, that suddenly appeared with a toe that looked just like at about 8 weeks of age. We have no idea what happened, just figured she had some kind of accident in the coop. She was also a little hunched over on the same side as the broken toe. Since she was having no problems eating/drinking or getting pecked on we let it be. She still has the bent toe and gimpy walk but is otherwise fit as the rest. She lays an egg everyday and never misses out on a treat. [​IMG] Kind of reminds me of an arthritic old woman for some reason, which just makes me love her more! ♥

Hoping yours gets on just as well.

Tracey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by