1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

slipped tendon? Please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nekhebet, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    I had three partridge silkie chicks hatch the night before last...yesterday when I went to place them in the brooder I noticed one chick could not walk. One leg was out to the side and the foot was curled. My hubby looked it up and found a posting regarding slipped tendons in peachicks. He examined the leg and noticed it was swollen and that the flesh in the leg didn't "look happy". He tried to pop the tendon back into place...apparently this is possible as per the article...but that didn't work.

I told him to splint the legs and work with it again tonight...we gave it some pain meds (whichever is the non toxic one, he knows, I always get them mixed up)

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO FIX THIS?? My hatches have been lousy lately, and I do not want to lose another chick. It looks to be getting around a little better today but it's leg definitely needs to get fixed. Is it just a matter of continuing to try to pop the tendon back into place until it finally goes, or the bird passes? [​IMG]

Help!!!!

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I have never successfully fixed the popped tendon issue. The chick cannot straighten its leg fuly right? As the joint is swollen and he cannot bear weight? Usually I end up having Hubby put them down eventually.[​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  4. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:This is exactly the problem and I really want to avoid this. My snake has been too well fed lately. [​IMG]
    We tried manipulating the tendon again last night, but in looking at it this morning, there is no improvement. I may consider taking him to the vet....hubby says the vet either won't see us, or will charge us the emergency fee then tell us to cull.

It can't hurt to try, I'll see how it's doing after school today, and re-evaluate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by