slleping in nest box instead of on roosting poles

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhuxol, Jul 9, 2011.

1. rhuxol

rhuxol Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    I have 3 chickens just over 3 months old and we build what we thought was a perfect little coop for them modeled off many of the coops on here. So all three of the chickens sleep and mess in their nest box at night instead of using their 3 roosting poles at various heights. They are not laying obviously yet....once they start laying will they stop sleeping in there? The roosting poles are made out of like rounded off 2x2s ballaster (sp) type poles. The nest box is opposite of the roosting poles, and the food and water are on a different wall as well, so everything has it's own area. Any help would be appreciated!!!

2. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm sure they will catch on soon. Mine are 13wk and have just started to realize what it's for. THey sit on it during the day here and there and then go back to the nest box at night. They will catch on. My last batch did the same.

3. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I sealed off my eggs boxes at night for a few days, this seemed to help.

4. rhuxol

rhuxol Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Ok I will try to seal off the nest box for a little while an see if they figure it out, thanks!

5. jhook1997

jhook1997 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Up until this week, we were having the same problem. Huge mess in the nesting boxes and ours are due to start laying any day now. For the past three nights we have gone out just after they get settled in and moved them. We go in quickly and quietly, take them out of the boxes and put them on the roosting poles. After 3 nights of this, they got it! Last night we went out after midnight and all 16 were on one pole together and there are actually two poles. We plan to check again tonight, but I think it's working. Good luck!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, you definitely have to block off those nest boxes as babies will try to sleep in them instead of roosting at night. I had to do the same thing. It only took a week of blocking off my nest boxes, and they completely forgot about the boxes. Now it is near laying time, I hope they remember they are there!! [​IMG]

7. Chicky Chick Mama

Chicky Chick Mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    western kentucky
    We had that problem so each night we removed them from the nesting box and placed them on the roost (after dark) and they got the message really quickly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by