Slow growing CX

Leghorn males start to get red combs before they even feather out completely. By 8wks old, a cockerel would look distinctly different from the pullets as far as comb size and coloring is concerned.

Well this has been an interesting weekend. I've gone from thinking I was going to butcher chickens for the first time, to starting to integrate some new Leghorns into our existing flock.

Our egg layers range inside a feathernet electric fenc, but we sometimes let them out. Today I let them out and made sure they meandered over to the tractor with the Leghorns. They seemed rather disinterested. So this evening I moved the tractor to right beside their fence, and Sassy, the top hen of the pecking order, stood right beside them making some not-so-pleasant clucking noises for a good while. I'll keep the tractor close to the hens now until they're ready to be "formally introduced" in another 6 weeks or so. This will certainly be interesting!

Thanks again for all your help (everybody). You guys saved me some aggravation and probably also kept me from butchering some 1.5 pound chickens!

I also just realized that this thread is probably now officially in the wrong forum!

Quote:
lol.
smile.png

Good luck with them and integrating. We have one leghorn girl in our first eggy batch. That particular group is very friendly. While she isn't unfriendly - she's a nervous thing who will only do something if the other girls are. She will do anything for a grape, though!!

Back
Top Bottom