slow growing orp?

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
I have a orpington that is supposed to be from brown orpingtons. this is the slowest growing bird. it's a pullet and I have 4 birds that I kept from that same hatchdate, 3 orp and one is a wyandotte. this bird is 1/2 the size of the wyandotte (her best bud) and I don't know if this is normal for some mutation colors (although she is a black laced blue) to grow so slowly. she eats well, has been wormed, just is small. I have 2 other lavender orps hatched at the same time and they are larger then the wyandotte. could she be a runt due to her genetic backround?

Doubtful. You say she's "brown" right? I'm assuming she's just carrying the dun gene? At least half the Buffs out there carry the dun gene . . .
wink.png

It's probably that she is the runt, or something else is wrong. I don't think it has to do with her color though.

Quote:
actually she is black laced blue from brown. the person I got my eggs from said the chicks hatch brown and stay brown, I got zero brown but I did get her. sadly I think she is a runt and will never catch up to my others. they are so much bigger then her but I make sure that is plenty of food.

I think the seller was selling dun-based Orpingtons then, and I think I know who you're talking about. You had a 50% chance of a brown, and it sounds like you got the other 50% chance. (blue or black)

I don't know if she'll catch up or not but I'd watch her closely, see if she really still does eat less or not, if she's picked on, etc.

Back
Top Bottom