Slow growth, no feathering on back end, poop sticks to skin...

msheppard0728

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
Hard to find much on the web about dwarf chicks. But I think my slow growing Rhode Island Red may fit the bill. She is growing but at a much slower growth than her siblings. Eating and drinking fine...but other characteristics below make me think something else might be going on...
-No tail feathering (has been this way since I got her at 2 weeks old.
-No feather on back end...causing poop to stick to her skin all the time.
-Sleeps more than the others.
-Other feathering delayed compared to others.
-Body size is smaller in proportion to her head and wing length.
-Almost shows signs of crooked neck (beginning stages) and she’s done this since I had her. But improved greatly altering giving vitamins in her water. But still showing signs of it (only when she’s picked up) after 7 weeks of treating with vitamins.

Any thoughts??

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
It is possible that she is a failure to thrive chick, but coccidiosis can cause runny poops, lethargy, poor appetite, and a failure to gain weight. Worms can also cause a failure to thrive. Intestinal damage due to either of those, could be a problem. Getting some droppings checked by your vet with a fecal float might be something you would want to do. Or you could treat your chickens with Corid, and then worm them.

msheppard0728

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
Belated update...she didn’t make it. I had started to see a little improvement after trying to clean her up best I could over the course of 4 days. But came in one morning and she had passed throughout the night. 😞

Top Bottom