Buff Brahma has large flesh wound

Katie593

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
One of our Buff Brahma chickens (almost a year old) has an alarming flesh wound behind her left leg. She's acting fine and doesn't have any symptoms of being ill. We happened to notice our two other Buff Brahmas also have a similar large scab (much healthier looking) in the same exact spot (pictures of these two birds are attached too--see the less gruesome pictures). I thought at first that a predator must have tried to get her through our fenced in run, but once I saw that the other two chickens, of the same breed, had the same exact issue, I ruled out the predator theory.

When I happened to notice it yesterday (see the more gruesome picture) she was acting very normal and is still very perky. She was keeping up with the rest of the flock and did not appear to be in any sort of pain. The area was completely dried. There aren’t any signs of mites. There wasn't any oozing spots or bad smells. The feathers are completely gone. There aren’t any signs of pin feathers either. There is one flap of skin that is still "alive" and looks healthy, but it is slightly detached and very movable (I do not know if this is normal).

She is eating and drinking very normally. Her poop is normal. She even laid an egg today.

Treatment so far: When I first discovered it yesterday, I tried to take a wet cloth to clean it up. She displayed some signs of that being a little painful. I realized it wasn't enough nor doing much, so then I soaked her in a warm Epsom salt bath and tried to lightly dab at the area to get it mostly cleaned. Next, I sprayed Blue Kote on the area. After that dried I put some Dr. Naylor Udder Balm (Yes, I recognize she is not a cow and does not have an udder, but it is an antiseptic ointment that inhibits bacterial growth and allows for clean healing. I figured it was worth a shot. It's worked great on plenty of other animal and human wounds over the years).

She's been inside and in a dog crate since yesterday morning. She is starting to get antsy (which is a good sign that she's still feeling well). I would like to be able to put her back with the flock, but I don't want other chickens to pick at the area and I don't want it to get infected. Their run is very muddy currently, but during the day the flock is moved out to a pasture in moveable coops.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I find it extremely odd that it’s only affecting the Brahmas. The rest of the flock, which consist of a variety of other breeds, doesn’t show any of these wounds.

Attachments

• image_67513601.JPG
    image_67513601.JPG
    466.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image_67234305.JPG
    image_67234305.JPG
    509.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image_67214849.JPG
    image_67214849.JPG
    529.8 KB · Views: 3
Do you have a rooster who may have injured the 3 hens with a sharp spur while mating them? That can be common. If so, I would trim the spurs partially with dog nail clippers and file them down so they are dull. I would continue to clean the wounds with saline and apply the antibiotic ointment twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom