Injured with large open wound on back.

MommaD26

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2024
On Sunday afternoon my children found our Americana chicken being attacked by the others. That morning we know she was fine. When she was fed, she was laying on some eggs and was removed and there were no signs of injury. We believe something attacked her and then the chickens ganged up on her. The first photo is immediate and I was working to stop the bleeding.
I bathed her, bandaged her to stop bleeding and applied vetericyn multiple time daily. Also have used hydrogen peroxide and triple antibiotic gel.
Currently, she is being housed in a crate in my bathroom. Under our watch she has been let to roam for about an hour today and yesterday.
The second picture is from yesterday. Third picture tonight. The medicine will pool at the bottom..... Tonight's picture makes me worried. With my eye... It doesn't look as green as it does on the picture. I think the greenish color on the top right is bruising.
She is eating and drinking. Talks to us and seems much better.
Any suggestions, concerns....

Attachments

• 17090872917143114270359761684608.jpg
    17090872917143114270359761684608.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 17090873643128901796349355456091.jpg
    17090873643128901796349355456091.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 13
I couldn't post pictures already on my phone for some reason. If I figure it out, I will still post them. These two pictures are from this evening, after medicine has already dried.

Looks like it's started to heal.

No more hydrogen peroxide, it can inhibit healing, cuz it also damages the tissues if used too often. Use only once, or twice if necessary upon discovery of the wound(s).

Just clean it, & apply plain Non Pain Relieving Triple Antibiotic Ointment to the wound to keep it moist Daily.

Looks like it's started to heal.

No more hydrogen peroxide, it can inhibit healing, cuz it also damages the tissues if used too often. Use only once, or twice if necessary upon discovery of the wound(s).

Just clean it, & apply plain Non Pain Relieving Triple Antibiotic Ointment to the wound to keep it moist Daily.
Oh, thank you! Good to know.

Is she normally part of the pecking order? Is there any overcrowding or lack of protein in the diet? Have you seen hawks around? It should heal eventually with cleaning and antibiotic ointment.

Is she normally part of the pecking order? Is there any overcrowding or lack of protein in the diet? Have you seen hawks around? It should heal eventually with cleaning and antibiotic ointment.
I think so. I ve never seen her picked on or being bossy. She sleeps on the highest bar at night. We definitely have seen hawks before, but no talon wounds, that I can see. She is missing feathers around her neck/face.
I feed a 16/18 percent protein feed, whichever is in stock. They have a large area, I think. More than normal. I have a large shed for a coop. 8x14.

Back
Top Bottom