Slow hen, diarrhea, big crop, she's sick

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hello peeps. Please help. ❤ My 2 yr old Ameraucana hen is very much off. Her behaviour was off about a week ago. So I checked her and couldn't find anything going on with her. She had stuff in her crop but she also ate her brekkie shortly before I checked her, so I assumed that's why. She LOVES me, but she is VERY hard to catch, so checking her everyday is tough.
Well...we have been having a mouse issue lately and 5 days ago I moved a box in the coop and a bunch of mice came out. Thelma ate at least 6 of them, if not more. Some were very small. And from there she has gone down hill. She drinks well, she eats well enough, but had a full crop this morning. I thought maybe she had a puffy bum area but it doesn't seem to be getting aggressively bigger and it's not red. I'm not familiar with acites so I'm not sure of what I'm feeling. Tail is halfway down or mostly up.
I called the vet and she suggested I give Thelma some oxysol in her water in case it is an infection. So she's getting that. Yesterday I fed her eggs with acidophilus, and vitamin powder on them. I'm giving her meloxicam for pain, and arnica for inflammation. But I'm worried about feeding her today because of her crop.
Should I give her some olive oil for the crop and let her go today with no food? Should I feed her soft things and make her comfy because she's on her way out?
I'm not even really sure of the symptoms of reproductive issues. So I'm just not sure what to do.

The two poops on the wood floor are from today. And the poop in the sand is from Monday (2 days ago). The round firm poop on the wood floor was hard and dry and light coloured on the inside, and the white wet poop had very dry light coloured bits in it too.

Attachments

• 20210217_111035.jpg
    20210217_111035.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210217_111119.jpg
    20210217_111119.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210214_085602.jpg
    20210214_085602.jpg
    890.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Well...I had the vet over on Friday (3 days ago) and he decided to ultrasound Thelma internally and externally, and found absolutely no egg issues. Thank God!!! BUT he did see that her intestines were packed and solid white on the machine. So...far too many mice at once. I was giving her olive oil for her crop which was moving slowly and the vet told me to continue that because it was helping the intestines too. She had a bit of a puffy abdomen, but nothing that seemed ascites-like. I also continued to give her oxysol in her water, and she drank ALOT of water. Thankfully.
Now she's doing great!! Her puffy abdomen is gone. I figure it filled up because she was so blocked and water had no where else to go. And she drank so much too. But the water helped alot when the blockage was broken up and she needed flushing. Her full crop is empty every morning. Her poops are solid, and if not then normally not solid. She's started shaking her tail, preening and chicken scratching. I'm working on acclimating her to the freezing outdoor temps (0°C - minus 15°C), as she's unhappy indoors. She loves spending time with me but wants to be in the coop soooo bad.
I took her to the coop with me for a few minutes this morning and put her in the hospital crate (so I could catch her again to bring her to the house), and she wasn't shivering at all but wanted out very much. Then when I grabbed her to bring her in, she was happy to go in. Lol. She's almost fully recovered. YAY!! 😁

Back
Top Bottom