Slow layers

Adena Zimmer

Hatching
Apr 28, 2015
Our 5 Americana's are 8-9 months old only one is laying and only 1 a day. I leave a light on in coop from 7am to7pm.and I let them out to run if weather permits, will the other 4 begin laying yet this winter ? What should the temps. be in coop the cold days and nights ? Thanks for your help.

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Our 5 Americana's are 8-9 months old only one is laying and only 1 a day. I leave a light on in coop from 7am to7pm.and I let them out to run if weather permits, will the other 4 begin laying yet this winter ? What should the temps. be in coop the cold days and nights ? Thanks for your help.

Maybe / maybe not - chickens are fickle creatures. Normally, one would not expect a chicken to lay more than 1 egg per day.

Reflecting advice from other members, as long as the coop is dry and well ventilated, your chickens should be fine (I live in the tropics, so i don't have that problem thank goodness
smile.png
).

CT

Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
They will lay this winter. Each bird is an individual and matures at their own rate. You should not expect a bird to lay more than 1 egg per day or you will be very disappointed. Some days they take a break and don't lay too.

Top Bottom