Slow super shy pullet!

sarahconnor

Songster
5 Years
Jul 17, 2018
We have 8 pullets all thriving up with the big girls and boys. One however is having issues. She hides in the corner and buries her head in the corner of the side yard, she doesn’t wander around much just a little bit(she doesn’t explore much). She won’t walk up the ramp at dusk to go inside at night with the other ones. We have to carry her in at night, and then when she’s inside she won’t fly up and get on the roost like all the other pullets can. She is a polish and she is about 18 weeks old. She’s super sweet but slow on the uptake. She eats and drinks ok. She isn’t allowed to free range yet. Just five of the 8 Pullets are allowed to free range, the three smaller ones are still kind of confined to the side yard for now. In a couple of weeks, her two best friends are going to be free ranging with the others, but I am afraid to let her out of the side yard. Will she catch up developmentally with the others?
Thanks!!

Is this your only polish? Polish can be odd birds. Often they can't see well and other birds like to peck their crests. Too many pecks can cause brain injuries. Sounds like yours isn't doing well in you mixed breed flock. You may have to make some decisions.

Sometimes polish do okay in a mixed breed flock and sometimes they don't, and are best housed with other polish or other gentle breeds.

WOW! That explains so much!! We originally had two, but we found one of them collapsed in the baby pen with a head injury. We syringe fed her for two weeks but she couldn’t hold her head up and could only lie there so we put her down. We tried so hard to help her. So that just left the one.
I like the one so much. She is so gentle and loves our little silkie.
Sheesh. I feel terrible for buying her now. Should’ve done more research before bringing her on board.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

WOW! That explains so much!! We originally had two, but we found one of them collapsed in the baby pen with a head injury. We syringe fed her for two weeks but she couldn’t hold her head up and could only lie there so we put her down. We tried so hard to help her. So that just left the one.
I like the one so much. She is so gentle and loves our little silkie.
Sheesh. I feel terrible for buying her now. Should’ve done more research before bringing her on board.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply.
You might be better off keeping the polish and silkie together. The breeds generally are compatible.

Back
Top Bottom