Slug control...i only have one beer

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by moodusnewchick, Sep 14, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I'm going to put out beer tonight for the slugs. it didn't occur to me how damaging these things are. Problem is, I only have one beer in the fridge. I'm from CT, we don't sell alcohol on Sundays. Are there any other fermented joys I can use for slugs? I have plenty of wine!!

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Your going to feed wine to slugs? [​IMG] By the time you get an answer it will probably be monday anyway. Just buy some tomorrow on your way home from work. I doubt the slugs are going to do that much more damage in less than 24hrs.

3. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    I suggest you put your feet up, drink that last beer, and buy more for the slugs tomorrow...[​IMG]

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Use it, pour it through a strainer, and use it again. Feed the beer-marinated drowned slugs to your party-hardy ducks or chickens-- TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Just dump salt on the slugs. It will make them dry up. Problem solved. [​IMG]

6. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have slugs in my house. I don't like them but didn't know that they were bad. What do they do?
    Chris

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:They are damaging to plants and vegetation.

8. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    d.k :

* Use it, pour it through a strainer, and use it again. Feed the beer-marinated drowned slugs to your party-hardy ducks or chickens-- TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! [​IMG][​IMG]

so i can feed the marinated slugs to ducks? someone wrote on another post that the fermentation (mold) would kill them.​

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I've never heard that, and I know people have used the grain/hops leftovers as feed. Sometimes, while still warm. . . If anything I think it would be too much of the alcohol, just like with people.

10. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Drink the beer and put the salt on the slugs!!
    Seriously, I put oyster shell around all my plants that the slugs bother and it works great. They used to really damage my hostas and green pepper plants until I mounded up some oyster shell around the base of each and now they don't touch them.
    Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by