Sluggish, low energy hen

Union

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
One of our two year old Rhode Island Red hens is acting funny. She's really sluggish, and doesn't want to move except when we've been bugging her to check her out, but even then it's really low energy. She has been standing, or now for the most part laying all puffed up for the last few of days. Also her tail feathers are always down, even when standing. The first day we noticed her acting strange we also noticed her poo was more watery than usual and seemed to have a yellow tint. She also has some poo stuck to her back feathers. When we saw the poo we thought it might be a digestion thing so we added some apple cider vinegar to the water and fed her some yogurt (we had to put it on her beak for her to eat it.) When we first found her she was on top of two eggs (from another chicken, not her own) so we thought maybe she is just broody. Now we don't think that's it because she has been acting weird for a while and not sitting on eggs. She has no interest in food at all, even stuff the usually go crazy for. I've been looking around on here to try to figure it out and one thing I saw was to feel if her abdomen was hard but it isn't. We did change their feed a few weeks ago, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Also her comb seems a little more dry and limp than usual. Thanks for any insight!

-Scott

Last edited:
Just an update. Definitely not just broody, something's wrong for sure. More liquidy flourescent yellow poop. still just standing or sitting in one place with no energy at all, seems to be getting slowly worse. Also seemed to be making some sighing like sounds this evening.

-Scott

she may be too hot???
idunno.gif

I don't think that's it. It hasn't been too hot, and the others aren't that bad. This morning she seems to have lost balance also. She stumbled around a bit crashing into things.

-Scott

Back
Top Bottom