Pics

3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Martha is an almost two-year old silver Appleyard duck who lives with a small flock totaling six ducks (5 ducks/1 drake). Martha is the smallest duck and possibly our best egg-layer. She's also quite spunky and has traditionally been our broodiest girl.

This evening, she appeared to play and eat like normal with everyone else, but when she went into the duckhouse like usual, she refused mealworms (she's usually the number one fan!). Then it became apparent she was moving slower as she went back down the ramp to get water. Upon closer inspection, she appeared somewhat bloated and quite slow-moving and almost limping. Here's a short video:

I've had the flu and been in bed for a couple days, so I did not observe her myself, check for bloating or do a physical exam--I will first thing in the morning. There was also this egg this morning, which may or may not be related:

received_1378921085581680.jpeg

The only other major change is that our drake has been removed from the flock for the past could days because of a prolapsed penis (he's doing well and living inside at the moment).

Of course these things always seen to happen on Friday evening before a weekend that is forecasted to be very snowy. As such, getting Martha to a vet in a timely fashion may be more or a challenge than usual. Any advice on what to look for when I do my exam in the morning, as well as any actions we should take, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

That's a glitch in the egg machine she passed possibly two yolks or it was sluggish coming out so built two shells. Was it a soft shelled egg. Has she just started up laying again. Do you provide oyster shell?

Thanks. Like I mentioned, however, I'm less concerned about the egg (not sure of it's even related) and far more concerned about the behaviour as shown in the video. Thoughts?

Thanks. Like I mentioned, however, I'm less concerned about the egg (not sure of it's even related) and far more concerned about the behaviour as shown in the video. Thoughts?
It looks as though her belly could be fluid filled. Possibly reproductive issues. Notice how heavy she appears around her vent? A Vet might be needed.

It looks as though her belly could be fluid filled. Possibly reproductive issues. Notice how heavy she appears around her vent? A Vet might be needed.
Yes. My specific question was about what to look for when I do a physical exam in a few minutes here. As I mentioned we might have trouble getting into the vet quickly given that it's the weekend, and we make significant snow coming. Thanks!

Yes. My specific question was about what to look for when I do a physical exam in a few minutes here. As I mentioned we might have trouble getting into the vet quickly given that it's the weekend, and we make significant snow coming. Thanks!
Definitely she will feel squishy..You will know if she is fluid filled in the exam.

Back
Top Bottom