Sluggish, quiet Buff Orpington rooster.

uglybeat

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
I came home from work today and my rooster is moving very slowly and making hardly any noise (he's not full-grown so he doesn't crow yet, but he definitely makes sounds all the time). His body is about as big as a loaf of bread so I think he's 4 months old? He was under the car almost all afternoon and only came out when I came home. (roommate and boyfriend noticed this during the day) He ate and drank with no problem, drinking a bit more as it's been around 100 degrees every day. (Austin, TX) I didn't feed them anything weird today except for some beet greens, but I don't think that would make him so weird. His stool is slightly watery. His "girlfriend" seems fine and they went to bed. He seems a bit clumsy. Gads, I'm so worried and I wish I knew what was going on. I've looked at many sites about certain diseases and symptoms but his body looks fine, he's just very sluggish and slow-moving. I hope he didn't eat something poisonous. I'm a first-time urban backyard chicken momma and I don't know what to do. I love my feathery boy so much!!!

The heat stress can bother him...lost one of my blue Orp roo and a couple of girls yesterday from heat exhaustion. It was over 108 degrees yesterday and will get worse today. I might lose a few more girls since they were really struggling with the heat issue yesterday.

Give him some electrolites and ice cold water or watermelon...it would help him cool off. If it is necessary, put a fan in the coop. Even you may do all those things, some will still die, it just too much for them.

Good luck!

You might also put out a heavy-duty tray full of ice in their pen in early afternoon to keep them cool. Make sure they have plenty of shade.

Good luck!

great ideas! thank you so much, but now i don't think it's just heat. he has diahrea and isn't showing much interest in food. he'll drink cold water a bit but he just stands around (sometimes sits around) not showing much interest in things. not a peep outta him. i think he might be ill with something.

Back
Top Bottom