Sluggish silkie hen, possibly egg bound?

rm09boug

Chirping
Oct 6, 2018
Hello everyone! I let the chickens into the yard this afternoon and noticed my silkie hen was not following the flock. For the last few hours she's been hardly walking, standing somewhat crouched, and not interested in eating. I can't get her to drink water, but she will occasionally take some oil soaked bread from my fingers. Her vent is pulsing, but nothing is coming out. She's pooped twice, both looked completely normal. I tried to feel her abdomen for an egg, but I didn't feel anything solid. Still, it may be swollen.

I've attached a picture of the stance she takes. She doesn't walk unless startled. Any ideas or advice? Thank you so much for your time.

Attachments

• 537C5DD5-DA2C-48C9-87D2-44C75359B30A.jpeg
    537C5DD5-DA2C-48C9-87D2-44C75359B30A.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 4
How old is she? Does she lay eggs often? You can insert a clean or gloved finger inside her vent an inch or so to feel for a stuck egg. Does she eat layer feed or get crushed oyster shell offered in a separate container? Has it been terribly hot where you are? I would mix some chicken feed with a lot of water, and offer that and some scrambled egg.

She's about a year and a half old. She gets layer feed, and lays usually every other day. It had been 90F for the past few days. I will try to check the vent again when my husband gets home.

Quick update: I mashed some layer feed and water. She will eat it every once in a while if I present a small portion with my finger. Still hasn't had any water. It seems she did lay this morning, because my husband collected the eggs yesterday evening and there was another silkie sized egg in the box today. She's had two more normal looking poops (solid with an average sized urate cap).

Back
Top Bottom