Slugmageddon

hedgemoo

Chirping
Aug 22, 2020
The corner of the yard where I keep my quail hutches is CRAWLING with slugs. Dozens. I went out there to check on them and it was nightmarish. The floor is coated with slime in the mornings.

Is this a thing? Are they after the straw? Am I going to have to poison them? I don't mind the odd slug but this is a mass infestation. :oops:

I use coffee grounds in my garden doesn’t kill the slugs but keeps them out. Used grounds is what I use they don’t like it because they get all tangled, my buddy pours a can of beer in a bowl they are attracted to it drink it and die. Hope it helps, I live in the northwest peninsula Washington we got some big ones here banana slugs.

Attachments

• F3B14EBB-B7F0-4976-A0F5-BB49BC2A5538.jpeg
    F3B14EBB-B7F0-4976-A0F5-BB49BC2A5538.jpeg
    652.5 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll start with salt and some beer traps. Copper tape around the box of straw. I've not got many coffee grounds as I'm a typical tea drinking Brit ☕, but if this goes on I'll cultivate a coffee habit. 😂
You might check your local coffee shop. Around here they are perfectly happy to give you their used grounds. It makes good compost too.

The corner of the yard where I keep my quail hutches is CRAWLING with slugs. Dozens. I went out there to check on them and it was nightmarish. The floor is coated with slime in the mornings.

Is this a thing? Are they after the straw? Am I going to have to poison them? I don't mind the odd slug but this is a mass infestation. :oops:
Place salt around ur pen at night all the way round salts cheap buy a big bag

I have a similar problem but with snails. They mow down almost every young seedling and plant in the garden. Destructive and they number in the thousands in my yard . . .
I use Sluggo, it is safe around animals and wildlife. However, it wasn't working fast enough to stop the carnage they were causing in my garden. Every night, an hour after sundown or when the dew has set I went out, picked them off plants, and threw into a pail of soapy water.

Back
Top Bottom