SLW or........not???

HerbiLady

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Mid Michigan
Hi everyone!

I ordered 5 SLW from Mt Healthy and they're 10 days old now. I've got more chicks than that but all the other breeds I ordered seem pretty much alike. However, one of the SLW is much different than the others. Its comb is different and it's coloring is different in some ways. It's personality is also REALLY different. This chick would run TO you when everyone else would run away. It's the first to take treats from your hands, will always come up to my hands in the brooder box and doesn't care one bit if I pick it up. It also was the first one to fly to the top of the first brooder box. Oh, and it tried to spur my Mom's hand when it was three days old and she reached in
lau.gif

Here it is:

FaveSLW1.jpg

close up of its comb:

FaveSLW2.jpg

And here is one of the other SLW:

SLW1.jpg

comb:

SLW2.jpg

I realize I'm not going to get perfect SLW from the hatchery but this one is either a major mutt, there's an enormous difference in SLW chick coloring or this ain't no SLW
wink.png

Last edited:
I think it takes some time for the feathering to come in right..I thought I had something else but my little pullets are looking better everyday...Give them some time..
big_smile.png

The one with the weird comb seems weird because it has a single comb, which Wyandottes really should not have - But they do pop up in hatcheries. Otherwise, it is still a Silver Laced Wyandotte.
smile.png

It's a silver something, I don't know about Wyandotte... it also looks to be showing early signs that it may be a roo.

Thanks threechickens and Illia!

I'm not so much worried about how perfect their coloring is and I expected less than the standard from the hatchery anyway. The one is just so different in terms of chick color
smile.png
I knew that about the comb and it doesn't bother me unless it means that combined with the coloring it's not an SLW. Then, I wanted to know what else it might be. I wouldn't be upset if it were something different either, just curious. I"m not really the picky type at this point (or ever, come to think of it!)

Good to know that it is a SLW, I've been wondering for awhile now. Funny to know that this one chick out of five is just completely different in personality than the other four.

Thanks again!!

Quote:
I've been thinking that roo thang myself and I kind of hope it is and it won't be a bully...I'm getting attached to the goofy weird little thing and plan on keeping one roo
smile.png
Not for breeding/fertile egg purposes but for a hen/flock protector.

Anyone else think it's a roo?

Last edited:
The coloring on your mystery chick is exactly the same as the SLW chicks I got that came from a hatchery. One of my pullets ended up with a single comb, but it didn't even show until she was 10 weeks old!! That is a roo for sure!!

I found your pictures and YES, our odd-ball chicks do look very similar! My maybe-roo seems to have a shorter body than the others, a little less in the rear. I can't tell from the pictures if yours is that way too.

My SLW roo (I think) I have 2 that were supposed to be girls---Looks totally different from the other one. Lots more black on the body and columbian type black and white feathers around the neck. No comb to speak of. The top of his head is flat but all red.

Quote:
Hi!

I don't think my little "guy" is shorter through the body than the others, probably the opposite actually. The others seem squattier and he seems taller and far more developed than they do. If he's a muttley type of SLW with the wrong type of comb I'm not surprised that he would have a skinnier body type than he's supposed to have
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom